Chapter 45

After another hour had passed, Cedric ended his meditation, having finally regathered his druidic power.

       "Alright, I'm ready, is there anything in particular we need to do?" Cedric asked.

       "I'm going to the city in disguise in order to get materials for a letter. I'm bringing you along in animal form just in case things go bad." Eris explained.

       "Oh, I can totally do that! Here, before I transform, have my gold just in case the materials are expensive." Cedric said as he handed his gold over. Then, he transformed into a tiny squirrel and curled into Eris' hood.

       With the help of Eris' disguise, the two were able to slip into the city. Eris spent five of their gold to purchase expensive inks, disguised as a rich elven woman with a beautiful cloak. Around the city, Eris was beginning to see wanted posters hung up. The faces of the group had already been drawn up crudely. None of them had names, but all of them had descriptions. All of them also shared a massive section of the paper that referred to a reward, worth 10,000 gold pieces. Eris merely walked past them, sometimes ducking out of sight to recast their disguise. Then, they switched their disguise as they got to the slums, and finally dropped it as they got back to the forest.

       Eris had gotten a lot of ink and several papers, in case it took time to get the right one. The first one was very well written, but the writing itself didn't seem fancy. It seemed too simple, something a commoner could write. Eris rewrote the letter, this time paying extra attention to the accents in the font and the letters. Unfortunately, it was also lacking.

       "Hmmm, tomorrow if I took a moment, I could get a spell that could help you with this." Cedric said.

       "Yeah, we'll have to do that, I only have two more chances before I run out of paper and have to go back." Eris said.

       "Okay, there's something urgent I need to do. We haven't been able to eat yet today, and it's already an hour past noon. I'll go fetch Ella and we'll find something to eat."

       Cedric was able to quickly find Ella, and the two set out to find something that everyone could eat.

       "Wow, I've worked up an appetite from that battle yesterday!" Ella commented.

       "I imagine that happens when you almost die, how do you feel?" Cedrick asked.

       "Oh, I feel great. I feel stronger, way stronger! Besides the fact that I'm hungry, I'm not so strong when I'm hungry." Ella commented. However, the two couldn't find anything in the sparse environment of the island. A few hours passed of searching, but they turned up nothing.

       "Okay, this is starting to become dire, we need water and food, and there doesn't seem to be either." Cedric said.

       "You're a druid, right? Do you have anything that could ask nature a question? I bet they would know where water is." Ella said. Cedric stopped.

       "That's it, I know what we can do. Today, I'm prepared to talk to an animal. And now I'm also prepared to speak to a plant. If anything would know where water is, it would be the plants." Cedric said. Cedric placed his hands together with an emerald flash and muttered a few words. The nearby trees and grass began to move. Grass began to sway without wind, branches of trees began to creak and bend, somehow managing to not snap.

       Cedric muttered in a tongue that Ella couldn't understand. Its tone was deep and low, yet it flowed like a river and was as free as the wind. After a few minutes passed, the trees returned to their normal positions.

       "Anything?" Ella asked.

       "The water is deep underground, I have no way of getting down there unfortunately. I should have been better prepared. I'll be honest, we aren't going to be able to eat today."