Chapter 111

The next day, Cedric was awake early to meditate. He prepared his druidic power as he meditated, and he was preparing for battle with demons.

       Eris decided to leave while Cedric was still meditating. They put on the disguise of that same, blonde woman, who closely resembled Ara' Sei.

       They walked out into the familiar streets of Oarshear. Most of the buildings in Oarshear were built of wood and stone. Most of which were around two stories tall, some of them being one.

       However, every now and then Eris would pass the massive cathedrals that were scattered throughout Oarshear. Some of them were built in honor of life gods, some for gods of knowledge and wisdom. Others yet were built for the gods of the ocean, for Oarshear was built next to the sea. It had that same sea spray scent of every port city.

       Near the center of the town were manors, and other large residences. Eris knew them all too well. For a long time, one of those manors had been their prison.

       As Eris continued to walk around the town, something became more and more apparent. While they weren't nearly as perceptive as Cedric, Eris could still detect a sense of unease that hung over the people of the town. It was unease mixed with anticipation in a strange blend of feelings. Something was off.

       Then, Eris decided to look for something in particular. It had only been around five months since they'd killed their master, so the search for them was still put up. Their master was a powerful official, and to have him gone would have certainly stirred things up.

       Eris ducked out of view, and recast the disguise spell. They couldn't afford to let their disguise slip in public, even for a second. Another half hour passed by as they searched for their own wanted poster. Eventually, they found it. They read their own name, then the rest of the poster.

      "Eris Servilus, adopted son-" Eris gritted their teeth, of course the idiots who made the poster would make that kind of mistake.

       "Adopted son of Aaron Servilus. Wanted alive for... attempted murder?" Eris whispered. Then, it hit them.

       "Attempted."

       They had failed. He was still alive.

       Eris silently panicked before starting to walk back to the inn as fast as they could. That was the danger. Their master had a way with words, and he was always scheming. This unease, this anticipation, there was no way that man wasn't behind it. Eris needed to get there, they needed to warn Cedric and the others.

       "What's the rush?" A man asked. Eris felt a strange sense overcome them. It was almost as if their panic were being drowned in murkiness. They were supposed to be scared, right?

       They felt a hand being placed on their shoulder.

       "Come with me, dear. You don't look so well." They were being gently lead somewhere. They had to warn the others! But, their panicked urges, their own sense of urgency. It was being drowned out by... something. What was it? It was a disturbing blend of panic and calm. They shouldn't be feeling both, naturally.

       They were being led somewhere. It was dimmer here. Unbeknownst to them, their disguise fell.

       "Oh Eris dear. I knew that was you." The man's illusory disguise fell away. His hair was brown and was just beginning to become streaked gray. His face was handsome, his skin not yet showing his age. He had brown eyes, he looked just like any other man. But, a large scar had been cut into his neck.

       Even through the charm that Eris now recognized, they were alarmed. This was their teacher. He was alive, and he was right here, right now.

       "I failed." Eris whispered, just barely quiet enough so that their teacher couldn't hear it.