Chapter 70

Two flying demons were encircling Cedric and Zerai from far above. They had four arms, all of which were armed with long talons. They had black, feathered wings. They looked like vultures, but far more terrifying.

       Zerai clutched his glowing blade in his hands and with an incantation his body began to glow. A flame hovered above Cedric's hand.

       "Be ready, Cedric." Zerai whispered. There was a minute of painfully long silence as the two demons circled above, judging the perfect moment. Then, in an instant, they swooped down to strike.

       The flame flew from Cedric's hand at one of the demons. But the demon flew too fast for him to land a hit onto it. As one of the demons descended upon Zerai, he struck it twice with his blade. Both strikes hit the demon, but his ferocity was nothing in comparison to his foe. The jaws clamped onto his shoulder and the talons scraped across his chest. They didn't cut deep, but they created huge gashes.

       The second demon descended onto a helpless Cedric. The mouth clamped onto his forearm, but he managed to step back from the talons. Cedric put his hand forward, and with a flash of emerald light a thunderous wave of power flooded from his palm. The demon was flung back, and its talons dug long scratches into the ice as it skidded away. Zerai reaffirmed the grip on his blade and lay his strikes into his foe. The first one bounced off the demon, but the second easily found its mark.

       One of the demons opened its mouth, and a horrifying screech tore from its throat. Zerai was able to steel himself against it, but Cedric was sent onto his knees trembling. Seeing how vulnerable he was, both of the demons tore into Cedric. By the end of it, Cedric was covered in blood.

       Zerai continued his assault. Both strikes were futile. He muttered a prayer, and his sword briefly shone brighter. The demons still continued to mercilessly attack Cedric, who still lay helpless on his knees. Cedric fell to the icy ground, covered in blood, after the second one had attacked.

       Zerai cursed under his breath, his sword shined for another moment. Cedric's eyes flew open. With an emerald flash his form transformed into that of a majestic eagle. In his talons, he grabbed Zerai, and in an instant the two took to the sky. The demons were right behind them, but in his form Cedric flew far faster than the demons could.

       "We should find the others, we can't fight these on our own!" Zerai said. The eagle nodded its head. Its head looked in either direction below it, then it zeroed in on one location. As Zerai followed the eagle's gaze, he saw four small shapes in the distance on the ice. One was far larger than the others, and it was clear a confrontation was happening.

       "Looks like they've got a fight of their own." Zerai whispered to himself. He looked behind him to see the two demons in pursuit, not quite fast enough to catch up, but not far behind. With his free hand, Zerai pointed his blade forward, and two bolts of light flew from it. One flew at each demon. He repeated this three more times, to mixed success. As they approached the impending combat, it was clear how dire the incoming fight would be. They had just barely        tasted how powerful the demons here could be, and now they had to fight three of them.