Chapter 175

"The first thing that caught my eye was this compass, it doesn't seem to point North, and it doesn't look like anything I've seen." Eris said.

       The compass itself was made of silver, the needle of the compass was black and shiny, and it seemed to sway with gravity, not pointing at anything in particular. Strange symbols and glyphs were finely carved into the silver.

       "You won't find North with this compass. However, this compass detects presences from other Planes of existence. If it picks up anything, it'll start to glow and that needle will point towards the interplanar presence. Whether its a portal, creature, or some other thing, if it's from another plane than the material plane, it'll pick it up. If you ever find yourself in another plane, the needle will start spinning." Naiyra explained.

       "Hmm, I've got a spell that can do that, how far away can this pick things up from?" Cedric asked.

       "It depends on how big the presence is. If it's a portal, it'll pick it up from miles away." Naiyra said. Cedric glanced at her up and down.

       "I think she's telling the truth." Cedric whispered to Eris.

       "Alright, how much are you selling it for?" Eris asked.

       "On its own, I'll charge you about four hundred fifty gold. If you buy it with some of the other things you're interested in, I might charge you less." Naiyra said.

       "In that case, I'll show you what else caught my eye." Eris said. They walked across the room and pointed at a golden ring with glass at its center. The ring was about three inches in diameter, and the glass was almost invisible.

       "That will let you see through illusions if you're looking through it. You can also see ghosts and through all kinds of darkness. That'll be eight hundred on its own." Naiyra said.

       "Okay, and the final item that caught my eye was this." Eris said, gesturing to a small box on a wall that was covered in glyphs and designs. The box itself was made of silvery gray metal. The designs and glyphs upon it were finely detailed.

       "Oh, that box. It's very pretty, but I haven't been able to get it open. If you buy that on its own, it'll be worth fifty gold." Naiyra said. Eris glanced out of the window in thought.

       "So, how much will it be for the box and the compass?" Eris asked.

       "Since you are buying them together, I will give you a... twenty five gold discount. For four hundred seventy five gold, both of them are yours." Naiyra said.

       "Alright, seems good to me." Eris said. Naiyra nodded and retrieved both of the items before going downstairs. Cedric and Eris followed behind her.

       She put them on the counter and extended her hand. Eris counted the gold on the desk before pushing it towards her. In return, she placed the two items into their outstretched hands.

       "We have one final question." Cedric asked.

       "What is it?" Naiyra asked.

       "Do you know any arcanists?" Cedric asked.

       "Ah, I've got a friend. She's a pretty good arcanist, she graduated from her studies last year. She's helped me get a fair amount of what you see in here." Naiyra explained.

       "We're in need of someone of such expertise, how would we find this friend of yours?" Eris asked.

       "Her name's Brie Evertempest, she's got black hair, halfling, bright blue eyes. She specializes in Divination magic. I can write her address down. Tell her I sent you and make sure to get to the point with what you want. If it has anything to do with items or spells, she'll listen to you." Naiyra explained. Then, she scribbled an address onto a small piece of paper and handed it to Cedric.

       "Thank you, Naiyra. We'll be sure to stop by if we need anything else." Eris said.

       "Take care! Hope to see you again!" Naiyra said, waving at the two as they left the shop.

       The two walked out of the shop and went straight back to the inn. Already, they had managed to find a lead.