Chapter 170

After several minutes of waiting, Lyra returned with a basket filled with tomatoes, mushrooms, green onions, and a clove of garlic. Then, she approached one of the countertops and began dicing the vegetables with incredible speed and practice.

       Then, she turned to Zerai.

       "You look like a strapping young man, can you carry my cauldron out back and get some water from the stream? Make sure not to get too much dirt in it, and fill it up about a quarter ways." Lyra said.

       "Of course." Zerai said before walking over, taking the cauldron, and walking outside. Cedric scrambled to open the door ahead of him.

       "Ara' Sei, a little word of advice, he's a keeper." Lyra said.

       "I... uh, what?" Ara' Sei asked, her face turning blush red.

       "I'm not oblivious dear, you like him." Lyra said.

       "Are you sure we need to talk about this h-" Ara' Sei started.

       "Yes!" Lyra said. Ara' Sei glanced at Cedric and Eris.

       "Oh uh, are we uhmm, in the middle of something?" Cedric asked.

       "Oh not at all." Lyra said, smiling.

       "Okay, I like him a little, but nothing's happened yet." Ara' Sei said. Lyra put her hand on Ara' Sei's shoulder.

       "We'll talk more later, and you can tell me all about it then." Lyra said. Then, the door opened, and Ella walked back in. Ella took another seat back at the table.

       The five at the table sat in silence for a moment. Then, there was a knock at the door. Ara' Sei walked up to the door and opened it. Two people were standing in the doorway. One of them was Zerai, who was carrying the cauldron, just under a quarter of it was filled with water. The other man was far older. His hair was gray and white, but not yet balding. He stood about the same height as Zerai, and he had brown eyes.

       "Father?" Ara' Sei asked. The man's eyes widened.

        "Oh my goodness I had no idea you were coming back! Oh well I-I gotta go get something good from the bakery. Be right back, love you!" Nathan said before running off. Zerai entered the room with the cauldron in hand. Lyra inspected the water within before nodding her head.

        She instructed Zerai to place the cauldron above the firepit. Then, with a snap of his fingers, a fire came to life beneath the cauldron.

        "Oh, you know magic!" Lyra said, trying to act surprised. But, it was obvious that she wasn't. Lyra first put the mushrooms and tomatoes in before going back to the table where everyone else sat.

       Ara' Sei gave Ella a furious glance.

       "Oh, don't give her that Ara' Sei, I made her do it." Lyra said. Ara' Sei's face went pale.

       "Do what?" Ara' Sei asked.

        "Tell me about what you've really been doing for six months." Lyra said. Ara' Sei froze.

       "Oh, what did she tell you?" Ara' Sei asked.

       "She told me about, let's see. The demons, slavers, bandits, necromancers and whatnot that you've fought." Lyra said. Everyone looked at Ella with wide eyes.

       "What? I've got a giant sword on my back, it's kind of obvious I fight for a living." Ella said. All of them sighed before looking to Lyra, who had a wide smile on her face.

       A few awkward, silent moments passed before the door opened again. Nathan came in carrying a massive pie.

       "Oh honey, put a cloth over that for now, I'm still cooking." Lyra said. Nathan did as he was instructed before sitting at the table. He looked around at the silent group.

       "So, what were you all talking about?" Nathan asked.

       "Honey, did you know our daughter knows how to use magic?" Lyra asked. Ara' Sei stood up.

       "I'm going outside!" She declared, before sprinting out the door. Zerai glared at Ella, but she ignored it.

       "No. Well that's exciting." Nathan replied.

       "Isn't it?" Lyra asked. Both her and Ella were clearly enjoying the awkward atmosphere. Then, Zerai got up from the table and walked out the door.