Chapter 138

In the dungeons below the manor, the fight between Eris and three guards continued.

       Each of the guards stepped forward, thrusting their pikes forward. Eris sidestepped the first two thrusts, but the third grazed their shoulder. With a flash of blue light, their shoulder was now covered in a burn mark.

       Eris leapt forward with their dagger once. They brought in a sideways slash towards the guard's throat. But, the man stepped back, and the laceration wasn't deep enough to hit anything vital. But, the man appeared dizzy from the crimson pouring from his stomach.

       Using the forward momentum, Eris vaulted over the man's shoulders and ended up behind him. Clumsily, all of the guards spun around to meet Eris. They chuckled at the three haphazardly turning around with their massive weapons.

       But, in an instant, the guards were advancing forward once again. However, Eris was quick, and they stepped back away from the halberds as they slashed forward. With their dagger, they parried the final strike with ease.

       Eris then ran forward and leapt back over the guards. Before the guard could turn around, a dagger had been plunged into their exposed neck, and they fell forward, clanging to the ground.

       The two remaining guards once again spun haphazardly to meet Eris. This time, Eris laughed out loud at the strange visual.

       One of the guards touched the other's halberd, and it glowed with blue light. The guard with a now glowing weapon thrust it forward. But, just as before, it was a clumsy strike, and Eris was able to evade it.

       Eris attempted to thrust their dagger forward, but the targeted guard glanced it off her armor.

       Now the guards made an effort to surround Eris from opposite sides. The first hit Eris in the back, and there was a blue flash accompanied by searing pain. The second hit Eris in the stomach, sending them reeling back. There was another burst of searing pain.

       The room was beginning to spin, and Eris was struggling to focus. Eris tried to strike forward, but they were too dizzy, and the guard stepped back.

       "Oh no." They whispered to themself. They leapt back away from the guards and ran to the other side of the room.

       But, the room was small, and the guards were once again able to surround them. The first strike was from behind, and Eris was able to sidestep it. The second was from the front, aimed for Eris' heart. Eris carved upwards with their dagger, and the halberd was sent flying off course.

       Eris knew they couldn't keep fighting like this. Eventually, the guards would surround them and cut them down in this tiny chamber. But, what did they have other than their daggers.

       Wait.

       Eris vaulted over one of the guards shoulder and ran for a corner of the room. As predicted, the guards began to run towards them. Eris carved the carefully practiced, crackling blue glyph in the air. Then, as the guards charged towards them, they were aligned.

       Eris released the power within the glyph in a bolt of lightning that turned the whole room white. A thunderous cacophony of sound echoed across the tiny chamber. The guards' screams were barely heard above the thunder that echoed through the halls and dungeon of the manner.

      When Eris' vision recovered, the two guards lay on the ground, their forms twisted with agony.

       They walked up to the next door. Testing it, they found that it was open. It led to a stairway, the end of which was illuminated by faint torchlight.