Chapter 40: The future

Jayson POV

Our relationship was playing with my sanity.

Did the moon made a mistake, were we fragment of one and only soul. Did we belong together? A humourous chuckle left my lips.

It was funny, I could feel the attraction. It was there, body and soul I was committed to that woman. I existed to complete her and so did she.

However, our very first meeting was a sick joke, I put my other half in a filthy cell, saw her lose her mind and I here I was claiming her back as mine.

I sound like the joker.

Die for me and I'll love you forever. Though I didn't want to live the torture alone so let us suffer, Suffer for me and you'll be mine forever.

A mad man I became after an agonizing choice I had to make. My mate or my sister. She had been acting as if she was past the incident but I could feel it. My sins made their way under her skin. There was nothing I could do to save us.

Volker was blocking me off since the hunting, he did talk to me to insult me. I deserved it. I was torn apart, my duties, the abduction, took a toll on me. If I arrived at time to save my sister non of this would have happened. The self-blame was unbearable.

I hurt everyone, being alpha was one of the burdens I would want to give it off to someone. I wasn't born to lead.

I couldn't even ask for advice, an alpha couldn't have any weakness. There was no one ready to listen. Mistake after mistake, I screwed everything up. My relation with my mate, the pack I was lost.

All I learned in that camp was to fool around. I was strong but was that necessary now.

I ran when I caught their scent, it was there but they tried to escape from me. I was familiar with their hiding and strategy, it was easy to track them.

I knew my territory I took the shortcut and cut them off.

Their jogging stops here.

I hid behind a tree to retrieve a short and faced the bloody duo.

"Man, I thought you had a grudge against us?!"

Collin stated breathlessly. I ran fast enough in their human form to try to drop me. Erika's idea for sure.

"I need advice."

They both knew that our pack was restless as the rogues came in as if they own our soil, and to add to it, they were odorless. However, I wanted some relationship counseling.

"What? How to track that guy who played us? If I knew he'd be dead by now!"

Alpha Van Forest was hurt in her ego. They couldn't catch the intruder and they bet that they'd seize him up in a week.

They lost their bet and now her sole purpose was to kill the evidence of her failure.

"Serah, we're a mess."

They didn't expect it. I didn't know that I'll change for a woman. Erika was lost in thoughts but Collin seemed fired up to help.

"Prepare a date."

From my man, the words sounded wrong. However, the idea was great. It might move her, all I wanted was to see a genuine smile from her.

Erika, out for a minute, came back not convinced. A date seemed inappropriate as we were all working against a concrete threat.

"All you need to do is to face her head-on and talk with your balls in your hand. Tell her how you feel. Be clear."

I never, in my life thought that Van Forest could be deep in a talk. What she said made sense. But was I ready? Ready to start a life with her, ready to accept my feelings.

I want her.

I need her.

My choice was made.

I was ready to take off to the packhouse, but hands clenched on my arms not letting me go. I turned around confused.

"Not now, Serah and the luna are on a meeting."

Why would Erika know? As the Alpha, I wasn't aware of the topic. She saw me deranged by her revelation and pursued.

"They are trying to uncover her origins."

Origins?! The sentence might be grammatically correct but I still couldn't comprehend it. It wasn't making any sense. Only one question came to mind.

"Why would she do that?"

...

Serah POV

"Why would she do that?"

It didn't make sense. There was nothing I could understand. Were they playing mind games? If the goal was to ditch me on unknown territory and see me lost, they won.

The origin of our clan?! Or pack?!

It was a revelation. Nobody told me, no one deemed it necessary for me to know.

"Your family had their reason."

Luna Jena pursued. The reason was valid or not was not be discussed. They hid so much from me.

Kevin, now, our entire bloodline.

Kam came next to me and assured me that only a few packs like their previous one knew of our existence. The whole clan was kept as secrecy.

Ice Moon took an oath to always protect our line. The Silverknight.

The meeting involved, the luna and Kam. Jess didn't want to know if we had to be discrete on the matter. She was being thoughtful for once.

"My mom should have told me before letting me go to your pack!"

She could have all excuses from the world, letting me in the dark was not an option. I had to empty my mind for a second or else my brain will burst.

Tea was fuming leaving a lavender scent behind. I took the cup warming my agitated hands and sipped on it.

The moment was calming.

Not enough to make me forget that I was in a middle of a meeting with two people who knew more about my lineage than me.

"There was a rumor twenty years ago in Ice Moon, I was already here so I don't know the details but it says that a seer and a Silverknight met."

Luna was nice, but twenty years ago I wasn't born and didn't exactly exist so this information won't help me. What was a seer anyway?

"What do you mean?"

I was perplexed by her words, how should I react?

"If it's true, the Silverknight knew the future and the events that would unfold."

Jena was pensive her words losing her in disbelief. But to me, everything made sense, the endless arguments between my mom and my grandma; my mom's overprotection of everything.

She knows something.