Chapter 32: Introducing Max

Serah POV

What did he mean by the chase? Why did the sexual tension go up in flesh? And why was I obsessed with him?

We talked about it yesterday but I couldn't forget his mimics or his smirk. It made me-

"Ouch!"

This girl pulled a handful of my hair making me cry in pain.

"Focus. What were you thinking about anyway."

Did it really have anything to do with her separating my hair from my scalp?

"Can't you be a little bit  more delicate because it was in no way my fault!"

Who did she think she was? She was the one who needed to focus. Like my word got past one hear and left by the other she resumed combing my hair.

"Anyway, what were you thinking about?"

Like hell, I would tell her. Let's make up something.

"Just all this. You just arrived and there is something so big organized."

I might have lied but my curiosity inspired me.

"Actually, I don't really want to know what you were thinking but I'll answer."

It took her a while before telling me the story behind the ball as she tried to finish up my hair.

I looked in the mirror and saw that she just finished the biggest part and now all she had to do was fixing some rogue strand. Our eyes met and she started.

"The annual mating ball. That's what we commonly call the meeting between packs."

Now I didn't know what made me confused, her definition or her unskilled hands.

"I thought it was for mates to meet and why did they decide to organize that-"

Her long sigh made me stop and she took it as a signal to start her explanation.

"If I wasn't found by the ball, the pack thought that my mate would surely be at the ball and would trace me."

Things were taking place and my mind less messy.

"So the real reason for the ball was the meeting to restore a rescue team?"

The smile on her face was sardonic.

"I knew that you weren't that dumb."

She could smile how much she wanted because I'll erase it with my fist on the first occasion.

As if she saw through my eyes she let go of my hair and pursued her instructions.

"Finish! Just get in your gown and we'll be good."

Jess went to her room to prepare herself leaving me alone. Alone in front of this full-length mirror.

My towel unwrapped from my body leaving nothing but the arms of fresh air on my skin. We both know whose arms I want on me.
Is it sinning imagining his fingers exploring my curves or worst, the proof of my lust.

For once I want to feel it as if it was him.
Before any action, the door broke open.
Leaving me petrified as if someone was reading my mind.

"Serah, you alright? You know it's not the first time I see you naked?"

This girl will be the end for me. She had this talent to burst into every dirty thoughts I had and have.

I was recuperating from the shock. She went and took all of her makeup stuff before hurrying out. She wasn't done, before closing the door she added.

"It smells weird wait..."

I didn't let her finish, whatever she tried to uncover wouldn't be good for me.

As my back was literally on the door I heard her utter the word bitch.
If my heart wasn't going ballistic right now I'd have retorted back.

However, a pang of disappointment was stinging on me. What if Jay was the one who opened that door.
Would he have followed me in my shameful act or would he have enjoyed the show?

F*ck! There was no way I was taking a shower again after all those hours Jess took for my hair and my make up was done too.

Get a grip of yourself girl!

...

My heels were clicking on the pale marble of the hall. Several feet separated us from the door.

"Why did you take so long to get into your gown?"

She constantly reminded me that I wasn't alone. Dear.

"I got distracted."

She looked at me suspiciously. She wasn't buying it.

"Anyway, we look perfect."

She hooked her arm with mine and dragged me to the ballroom.

Splendid, everyone was splendid and everything too.

The girls looked like blooming flowers with their magnificent gowns and the decorations were their jewels.

I felt out of place but something told me that I belonged with them.
My baby girl left me long ago to retrieve some food.
But I didn't wait for company too long.

The man who hunted my mind these past days was right in front of me. He was elegant with his all-black look. The tuxedo made his eyes brighter and profound.

I wanted him to look at me, to leave this elderly couple and focus on me only.

As if he felt my gaze, he turned around. Excusing his self and made the first step. My legs were itching to run to him but I stood. I stood my ground and waited painfully for him to come to me.

It didn't take long but it didn't feel like it.

"You're gorgeous. Mate."

I was so concentrated on his lips that I saw every syllable leave his mouth like honey. I wanted to taste it.

He cleared his throat, I was caught.

"You too... You're gor- handsome."

I made things awkward. What was happening? Today I wasn't there at all.

And to add, he didn't say a word. The silence was eating me up.

My distress showed and he saw it.

"It's my first time seeing you in a dress."

He tried to make small talk but I did not know how to answer. I needed a drink.

I saw the first waiter and called him up. He was fast as the champagne flute was already in my hand.

I smiled at the cute boy and was about to drink it all at once but his muscles were engulfing me in a tight hug.
It was innocent until these started to roam all over my back.

He had to stop or I'll ask for more. Just for now I'll let him if he wanted.

It didn't last long. He quickly moved his arms to place his tie in place.

He was about to talk but Theo came in rushing.

"Hunter of the dawn arrived."

This simple statement made his whole aura change. He looked genuinely happy.

"Max should be there! Let's go greet them."

Jay's voice was brighter. He looked like a kid who received his favorite toy for Christmas. It was nice to see this new face of him.

Theo went ahead and Jay followed soon after but not without leaving a kiss on my forehead. A smile crawled on my face. I was satisfied for now.

Max was it. They had to introduce me to that person. They seemed quite close.