Chapter 66: Introductions

Serah POV

"I only remember Kevin, he'd carry me on his shoulder whenever he'd come."

My pupils dilated to his name, Kevin.

"Why would you tell me that?"

Why would this kid, randomly, bring him into the conversation?
His eyes went bigger, not comprehending my interrogation.

"Aunt Inhana is his mom. They would come together but I can't remember everything."

And here I was, holding into that sheet of paper thinking my ignorance would be enlightened but I couldn't seem to find the light.

Kevin, Rem and Kam were related, and they might have other cousins. The only conclusion I could make was that, at some point, aunt Inhana was really close to my family, or else how could they let a wild Kevin let loose in our property.

"Kamil!!"

Rem abruptly got away from my embrace crying for the grown man coming towards us.
Kamil brought one knee to the ground and opened his arms to welcome the fierce jump his little cousin was throwing.

"Where would you run off alone?"

He giggled his way out of trouble and came back zigzagging around my legs. I stretched them gently trying to let the blood circulate without hurting but Rem's not so delicate pushes made half of my body feel like it was crumbling.

"I followed her scent."

He said hiding behind my dirty jeans.
Kamil's eyes met mine but understanding his thoughts through his expressionless face was harder than it seemed.

"Come back here buddy! You're not done with training."

The fierce timber of his voice made the kid fix the ground, as he dragged his snickers on it.
Kam was still out of reach for his cousin, it wasn't surprising when you saw his whole body moving in slow motion.

"Kam, do you maybe know aunt Inhana?"

Rem's revelation was an open door towards my missing answers and Kam was my greatest ally in this quest.
Both were indeed related, Ctrl V, Ctrl C, and Kam portrayed the expression Rem used to do.

"She's Kevin's mom. Didn't you know?"

If only I knew a lot of things, I wouldn't be wandering around, not in dark secluded forests, where people could turn into beasts at the full moon.
Day by day, I was realising how much was hidden from me, how much common knowledge was hidden from me and these people knew how to make me feel stupid. They were looking at me as if I missed sixth grade whenever I talked.

I handed him the letter inked by this mysterious woman, his fingers wrinkled the fragile words and he drank on the senseless sentences.
I could see on his face, the dark swallowed his comprehension and all he knew was the names written down.

"So there is nothing we can get out of this?"

His eyebrows frowned to my voice.

"Why would you think that?"

My face spoke words  and it said, spill the tea, we spent enough time together to know he was as clueless as I was.
The smirk was not appreciated but if he had concrete information I would hold into them.

"My mom is free tonight, we could eat at my parents and I'm sure she could touch more than two words about her sister."

I wanted to smack the sassiness out of his throat as much as I wanted to show my full gratitude. So I stuck my tongue as the child that I was.
Speaking of children, Remy went quiet, too quiet.

"Rem everything's okay?"

The boy shut down his sunshine, and the place weirdly felt colder.
His eyes making a hole in the ground, his shoes trying find gold, if we didn't stop him. He'll bring some corps back to life.

"If I didn't get caught, then you would have found what you've been looking for."

I rushed on my knees, to make his grey eyes meet mine.

"None of this is your fault, your smile is the greatest joy of your sister and your brother, so never lose it."

I tried to dry his coming tears and Kam swept him off his anchored feet, elevating him on his shoulders."

"Hey buddy, what's with this face, your eyes need to be fierce if you want to beat your enemies."

The boys chattered and Remy felt way better, Rosa took him back as they needed to train again.
Seeing them I couldn't phantom the burden they had to carry at this young age.

"Serah, it's a bit early, let's go to the packhouse first."

His hand went soothing the nape of his neck and his voice cracked uncomfortably. I wasn't born yesterday and I knew what he was up to.

"Tell me, you knew for Jay?"

His eyes flew violently towards me and back to the road.

"I knew."

I sighed at his confession. Jay was an existence beyond my comprehension, no logical explanation could explain my attraction to him and to be honest if it wasn't for the bond, I would  have only find him hot.
God, I was mad.
At myself, at him, at Kamil for bringing that confusing guy in my life.

"Kamil, you know right, that I can't forgive him. And it's not the first time and it won't be the last."

His head faced the ground in shame.

"I can understand but I can't help but wish you to experience the mate bond. There is not a day I go with, without thinking about Briah and don't get me started with the kids that entered our family. I will never be grateful enough for the life I have with them."

His eyes lit up as he mentioned the people he loved the most on this lifetime. Indeed, I was envious.
But I couldn't see a peaceful future with him where he would put his pack every single time before us, before me.

"I thank you for only wishing the best for me but I no longer believe it's worth it."

He looked at me with pain so contagious, I couldn't phantom why.

"I would die from shock if Briah were to utter your words, now I understand why our alpha ordered to be left alone."

My brows irked together.

"What do you mean?"

Questions were filling my mind but formulating one was such a struggle.

"Don't tell me you don't know, I know you didn't see but I know you felt it. Didn't you?"

I felt it. The bone crushing wave of despair. I will not admit it as I decided not to acknowledge it. But knowing the state I was in, I didn't want to know in which state Jay was, or was I just in denial?

"Anyway, I'm no longer concerned."

I scurried forward as I didn't want to deal with any more of this uncomfortable conversation.
I went to reach the pack door but surprisingly it opened on its own.
Fortunately, it didn't, and the culprit showed herself with a warm smile.

"There you are Kamil, won't you introduce me, your friend?"

...

Thank you guys for keeping up!!!