Chapter 63: Half Blood

Serah POV

"The story is repeating itself, it was once Jess and now Rem, and the link Serah, it's you. He got caught in this mess most probably because of you."

....

Guilt rushed all over my skin, reaching the tip of my fingers, my toes and my hairs. I could dwell on it but I won't. I couldn't when I was tormented by reasons I knew not about.
My nails dug softly on my palm trying to make the situation more understandable for the partly human that I was.

"I didn't say it to make you feel bad. I'm saying it because you are the one in danger, you have to be more careful than any of us."

Kamil words didn't soothe my anxiety, kids were abducted for reasons that at some point, were linked to my existence.
My existence was an issue and going back to my reality was now unthinkable.
As thoughts buried my mind, it also buried my perception.
My eyes dove back in a pool of dark ink, my nose could no longer be praised and my strength was leaving bit by bit my body.

Before my heightened senses sunk back into my unconsciousness, I felt heavy movement right ahead.

"Kamil... In front of us-"

"I know."

He cut me off without mercy. I'll forgive him because my worries were predicted by his own sensitivity.

His pacing slowly reached halt and I could feel a presence in front of us. We didn't wait long to hear the wretched breath of a wolf.
My senses shut down a while ago so I couldn't gauge the situation.
The two animal kept their position without moving an inch. Stress was walking all over my sanity as the atmosphere became suddenly heavier.

"Tell him we're from Red Crescent and we have retrieved his brother."

My brain had to process the information before I realised I was the negotiator. I tried to find back the voice lost in the dark, after ignoring the lump in my throat, I spoke, trying to hide my shakey stance.

"Hi, we're from-"

The foreign growl startled me into silence, Kamil then broke into my mind, without warning.

"Just give him the child."

I wasn't against his proposal but my diminished function could barely feel where the ground was.
Kamil didn't even budge, but arms encircled the sleeping child.
In a faint voice I heard a thanks but I wasn't so sure.

"What was happening?"

I asked Kamil through the mind link.

"I don't understand more than you do but the person right here, is the alpha in line. The older brother of the kid."

It would make sense, a kidnapper, the kidnapped kid and the one pursuing them. It was indeed a complete picture.
But were we letting the rogue go.
Before I could ask I felt my body projected to the back and by some miracle, I held on Kamil's fur like dear life.
My eyes closed, as I tried to focus on my senses but the whole situation was ridiculously distracting.
My vision blinded, my touch and my nose were numbed only my ears were hypersensible. I could feel the drumming pace of each of their not so delicate steps. How their paws marked the soil before inducing enough pressure until it broke.
These tiny vibrations were perceptible from my skin but still nothing in view.