Chapter 95: Where you belong

Serah POV

"Now that you are ready, you can shift."

His words sounded foreign to me and my veins were soon filled with anxiety.

"What do you mean? Shifting?"

He looked at me as if I was retarted.

"Like transform, from human to lycan."

Wow, there couldn't have been a better explanation.

...

We need to calm down, because I missed a little information here. My eyebrows were playing in confusion but the man in front me looked more confused now.

"You mean, we shift like from this-"

I showed the human that I was still flabbergasted.

"To a wolf?"

To be honest I was terrified but somehow the adrenalin kicked in and I felt the excitement coursing through my veins.

Simply imagining myself enhancing the senses that were already enhanced by some type of miracle was starting to make me dizzy.

But my whole turmoil took a hit when I felt his hand collide with the top of my hair. It didn't hurt but it sure took me out of whatever mess I was imaging.

"There is really nothing we could do for your lost cause. Serah we're lycans not some puppy with sharpened fangs."

I choked a vicious laugh trying to break free, the man disrespected a whole species that actually adored him.

My head swung from right to left in exasperation. He was supposed to be the wisest soul out there.

Instead of diving onto some baseless conversation, Eos decided to explain the concept with his action, with a quite impressive demonstration.

He extended his arm towards me and my eyes fell down to some magic transformation.

His hairs, already prominent, were starting to grow and cover his light skin. The dark brown spreading rapidly across his exposed skin was weirdly intriguing.

Could I possibly have the same ability as him?

Probably, I couldn't believe it but less than months ago I believed, well I never asked myself if there were any species that have not been uncovered.

His hair grew longer almost to his waist and his amber eye started to glow gold.

Somehow, the energetic field around his body started to take place making the air weight under massive pressure.

Unconsciously, my feet started to back away from the scene.

The ground, slowly sunk under his aura and his head turned towards, his glaze getting gentler and by some miracle, he switched off his transformation.

"Your turn now."

He was mad, and for the first time, his look matched the insane person that he was inside.

His silky hair long and uneven, his body hairs trying to break free from his ragged clothes and his nails as sharp as knives.

That was cute of him trying to teach me some useful tricks but there was no way that I was committing to look this ragged.

Impossible I was not doing.

"Don't be a brat and focus on the half shift!!"

Even if he was good at mind reading, I will not try this. I heard some weird stories from Jessica and I was not risking it.

"Eos, is there some other way to shift? Without looking like you."

The man irked his brows together, still reflecting if he should kill me now or let me suffer through his class.

He chose the latter, I was not getting away unless I learnt something.

"Serah, come on, I'm trying to be serious here. Shifting for us is not the same as for werewolves. All of their enhanced capacities are physical but for us, it's a whole different story.

We don't shift to heightened our senses, we shift to get closer to the Moon Goddess, as we accept her, you will feel her essence in all living beings, even in that leaf, the one orange and grey. It will fall and die eventually but until then, it is connected to the goddess."

For once, I listened as he spoke with manners and without raising his hands. I admitted that his story was touching and these abilities seemed cool enough.

I looked him right in the eyes.

"So tell me what should I do?"

He smirked.

"Just follow my movements."

...

I was not kidding. I shifted at the first try at that. But now, I was left with a problem bigger than anything.

I just wanted to dig a hole so I could bury myself so no one would know.

...

"Serah, close your eyes."

I let my eyelids fall and light was no longer welcome.

"Now, calm your pulse."

I took a deep breath and released the oxygen all at once. My lungs felt lighter and my heart started to feel at ease.

A few seconds later, my uncle's voice was faint until it became invisible.

My feet anchored to the soil, I felt the energy around me playing in circle around my station.

This energy, I needed to borrow it, to connect with it.

I had no idea what to do so I simply stayed where I was as I felt the field getting closer to myself.

At some point, my life force was drained out of me and something weird was happening inside of my body.

The tickling sensation took over, my skin, my bones and my brain.

I opened my eyes in a rush as I couldn't contain this feeling trying to break free.

Almost out of breath, I swam my way out of this meditative state.

My knee on the floor and my hand went to my throat as I felt it burning.

Hands came in holding me and pushing my face up so I could face a proud uncle lycan.

"Serah? How? In the first try? I'm glad but I hate it at the same time, it took me hours to get that."

I felt his joy but I was in no mood to celebrate, this place was urging me to take action as if it was desperate for help.

I was going to ask for Eos but he understood the distress written on my face.

"So this is the reason why I asked you to shift here, because you feel a certain proximity with the deity that you cannot feel in the mortal realms. And if you tried to shift in a healthy and beautiful place, you'd want to stay there forever. Nature is kind and beautiful but they have this wicked side that they'd find a way to bribe into staying into half shift, until you forget where you really belong."