Chapter 81: Your Blood

Serah POV

"It's Max."

Eos sounded firm enough for me to withdraw myself from Jess and my sandwich. I stood and went to my girl's side to leave her my sloppy kisses and my lips to her ear.

"So don't forget my cake, oh and please clean up my mess too."

I winked her goodbye and scurried off with my uncle who was now the main attraction. Not even a foot from my table and everyone seemed to bow in respect.

Outside was worse, from praises and formal salutation I really thought we wouldn't get to Jay's office. The room was empty to our favorite lycan's surprise.

"Where is that kid now that we need him?"

I simply went to that sofa and made myself comfortable. It was 7 or something but I was ready to go back to sleep and wait for another sunrise. From the pack house window, the sky was mixing both light orange and a vivid blue like the eyes of the Riders.

The sun rose slowly through the white lines that formed their own geometrical harmony. These clouds were unusual.

"He went out for a meeting in Ice Moon, they're dealing with a new decree, meaning new alliances, new borders and maybe some would get out of it as enemies. Whatever, it was a request of Asar."

Finally, Eos paused.

He advanced near the table and bypassed it with his long legs. He planted his whole being making the flexible foam deform itself to welcome him. His heartbeat slowed a little and his eyes saddened to his worries.

"How are they doing, the Markens kids?"

I broke my neck to face the ceiling, the atrocities of that day were still engraved in my heart, all that turmoil had the power to shake my entire composure. I brought my knees to my chest and smeared the leather fabric with my bad manners. I hugged myself wishing that my self soothing would transfer to those orphans.

"Asar is trying his best to hold together their crumbling cards, Rosa is pregnant without her mate by her side and the little Rem is blaming himself for letting an opening in their well guarded castle.

They're a mess."

I dove my head in my crossed arms allowing the bit of darkness to engulf the shared pain with Ice Moon.

My hair moved on its own as my uncle decided that I deserved a little pat. The consoling was appreciated but I wasn't the victim here, simply someone who became an extreme empath when it came to the alpha blood of that mysterious pack.

"I have known them since they're babies, the twins grew into unwavering towers whose sole mission is to protect their baby brother. As long as they have Rem they won't fall apart."

"It's just not fair for them, life is so unfair I hate it!!"

I cried out like a brat tainting others' experience with her own after taste of this life. The room became too silent for me to stare at my knees.

The lycan himself had his gaze stolen by his thoughts and his pensive state was disrupted by my curiosity. Blue and honey mixed to interrogate me.

"As I'm getting older, I sincerely believe that there is nothing more impartial than our life. Everything is divided by black and white.

For children to grow up in a world only made of light would be a poisonous gift because they would never know how to survive when the shadows would take over. I don't think their parents deserved to die but ultimately, it was a consequence of their own decisions accumulated over the years."