Chapter 48: Time for what?

Serah POV

"Here. Something funny is going on and the answer is in another pack."

"Ice Moon."

...

Max erased her shocked face and grinned.

"You're full of surprises. How do you know about Ice Moon?"

She did expect me to know about them but how was I supposed to answer, the luna forbade me from talking about it before having any concrete evidence.

"Serah, I have quarter blood from that pack so I'm quite in the confidence."

Her statement was reassuring. People from there were so secretive.

"The man, yesterday, it was his last words before disappearing."

She reflected on my words but there wasn't much to understand. She told me that she would keep that in mind and hopefully, her trip will answer her.

Jayson and Jess had a few words with them. We, then, left the alphas out of the territory and we all scattered to our respective packs.

The siblings were engrossed in a talk I couldn't comprehend, their childhood life and friends were a memory I wasn't part of.

They soon realized that I was kind of excluded from their small discussion and tried to interact with me. However, the forest was today more intriguing than yesterday.

I felt different since the poor man massacre.

Jess and Jay ignored me, as unresponding I was, and happy they were to resume their stories.

These exciting days, finally, they were off. I found consolation with the rays digging through the branches to reach my skin. I occupied myself watching the sun above my head. My focus didn't waver, the star didn't stay in place, it fast forward toward the west again and again letting the two peaceful and busy weeks escape in a blink of an eye.

My eyes flutter open as I fell asleep on the green soil.

"Serah!! Open your eyes!! Alan tried to walk!!"

My vision still victim of the darkness blurred my front view. After some adjustments, I could see our little Josh standing up the month-old toddler by his tiny hands.

The scene was wholesome to watch, a bit of innocence in this unstable period was becoming rare.

"Leave her alone and play with your brother."

Briah scolded her firstborn playfully and diverted her attention to me.

"How was the nap?"

I stretched my limbs as I was taken to reality earlier than I would have wanted.

"Short."

She mocked politely my sleepy head and our conversation diverted between the kids and how busy we were this week.

"Ice Moon has been on edge these past weeks, they sensed the danger earlier but they're still keeping a few  things for themselves."

Briah's voice was lost in my head when she said Ice Moon. I knew something myself but I couldn't tell what.

"Dad!!!"

Josh darted to see his father and Gab cried horrified.

"Don't let go of your brother!!"

Fortunately, Josh wasn't that far from the ground and the toddler, already looking like a full-year human, landed on his diaper.

She ran, nonetheless to check if  Alan was alright.