Chapter 88 (part 2): Memories

Serah POV

If only what he said was true, I might be the cause of your ruin. I kept in me as I was grateful that I had him on my side.

'Thank you.'

...

I might have said thanks but now, the guy was unfindable. My senses started to fade and my instinct was on leave.

Great, my little stroll through the branches was for noth.

"I see, convincing your mate to wander alone with a predator in your pursuit. I shall congratulate you."

His voice was echoing in the vast space but I might be snapping my head from left to right, up and down but I couldn't see him.

To some random three I shouted.

"Just tell me, what do you want from me? Are you trying to destroy the world using me and my blood."

"My child, wrong it is, the way you think. You are the salvation of our world, you are to be guarded and ready when the time will call out your name. In the meantime, those with wicked intentions should be eliminated. You are for the glory of the greater good not the possession of some selfish desire."

His words penetrated my soul but the meaning behind his speech never reached my understanding.

I had hundreds of words ready to form my coming interrogation but somehow, they dissipated by the surging pain.

What was happening?

My heart, I felt it break, restraining and as if millions of needles came in all at once.

I breathed but the air never reached my lungs.

I was scared to know the meaning of this pain as Jess already described to me the ache I should be foreign to.

"Oh my child, did my good for nothing servant fail in their simple mission?"

"What? Tell me what it is?"

His face, emotionless, did wrinkle a bit without giving me the reassurance I needed. My eyes pleaded that whatever it was, it wasn't what I could be thinking of.

"Do not worry. He's yours, his heart may sway as it cannot forget the once existing feeling."

It was about Jay and Dina for sure. I hate this feeling inside of me. I knew that I was the one who sent him her way. To simply ease my consciousness not for them to get nostalgic over their past lover days.

My heart contracted to all my useless worries and I hated it.

"If they shared their flesh, your knees would be on the ground."

I would have been glad to hear but somehow I was just pissed .

"Would you just tell me everything? I can't do your thing. Now, we're on the same team, innocents die because of me and you're saying it is for the greater good. You are exactly like all those people who keep everything for me, for what? For my own good?"

I was ranting, exploding from the rage I didn't know where it was coming from. My heart burnt for the truth but I was served with only cold lies.

My voice made all the cute birds fly for another piece of land and only the wind was willing to blow my way. Even the sun preferred to be along his clouds now making the scene gloomize(r than it really was.

The man made his neat cloak, caress the green carpet and his steps were rythmed by his own frequency.

It was the most close up look I got from the enemy. And his expressionless face darkened, not even letting out his real intention.

"Serah, my child. We all die. Rogues need to die to have the opportunity to be reborn as pack wolves, the wolves need to die if they want to be reborn as a more powerful creature. And dying for the cause of the good, will only get you rewarded.

However, if you are already born as the most noble and powerful of all creatures, you need to live, even if I die tomorrow, you need to be alive because we are running out of time."

The wind made his whole speech have some background support and somehow, I understood more than I ever could. I was important and they had a mission where I played some important role. There was no need to ask more, he wouldn't tell me but there was still something I absolutely needed to know.

"Just tell me why and what are you doing with my blood."

His face regained his pale stance and somehow, his head bent and for the first time, I saw a stain in his perfect black clothes as one of his knees hit the floor.

I was quite surprised to say the least.

"We are indeed indebted to you and your bloodline. But I won't apologize as I am grateful that you have been saving lives without even knowing.

A woman whose head should only carry a crown was carrying the world and our duty is to lift the bit of burden that soon will fall upon you.

Treat us as humble servants but for now, we'll keep all our activities as they are."

It was frustrating. If it was clearly for the good then they could tell me.

"Why wouldn't you just tell me."

"I will, only if you commit to fight, alongside your peers."

...

The morning corridor was supposed to be busy but all the buildings were evacuated as the guards were running around to make the place safe again.

Everyone was busy doing their job and my dear mate was in his office lost in his thoughts.

He didn't hear my steps, nor the door, he didn't even sense my presence.

His eyes were back on focus and I could feel that our heart were heavy. Me because I couldn't be a simple human living in a fantasy world and him, I didn't know. His sweetheart and the woman he had no choice but to accept as his destiny.

I was done fighting.

I was tired.

I came closer, his eyes falling down with guilt, and his voice representing it.

"Did you perhaps feel a scorching pain in your chest?"

I smiled reluctantly, as I didn't come here to argue. I went closer to him making sure to leave enough space between us.

"Why are you asking? Do you plead guilty?"

His face was portraying fear that I knew too well. The fear of making three steps forwards and a dozen backwards.

We played so many times that it was no longer funny.

Whatever. I lunged forward, taking him by the neck and crashing my lips onto his. His response was long but soon his hands were good to find my hair and he put me on his desk.

I broke away the affectionate action as I needed to breathe.

"What was that for?" he asked dumbfounded.

And I only had one answer.

"I'm going to make you forget everything you ever knew, so your heart would have no choice but to sway only to my side."