Chapter 60: Now

Jayson POV

"Jayson, you're not alone, to rule this pack nor to support you. You need to ask for help, you should have leaned more on your mate when you were not alone. But now you drove her away, a few centimetres away from a burn out."

...

Both my mom and I looked at the creature, who once would have burnt down an entire pack to protect his pride. The opposite of a motto we were supposed to comply to.
It was when their face showed worry that I felt that one tear sliding down my cheek.
I tried to erase the evidence of my weak mind but my hand could not contain the following water falls.

Blinded by the embarrassing event, I could only feel my mother leaving quietly and my dad sitting next to me.

Whispering words I never knew I needed.

"Lean on me son, you're not alone."

There was nothing to do to stop my silent agony, at least I tried to hide the shame in my father's warmth as he accepted me with open arms.

I told him everything, everything from the day we lost Jessica, to hurting Serah and Dina.

"What should I do she won't come back this time."

Head in my hands, looking at my feet.

"Mates always find their way to each other."

The wise words were not comforting, she wasn't like me. She didn't crave for me, my presence, nor my touch. She didn't feel the desperate need to have me by her side, not like me.

"She doesn't feel the mate bond."

It was heartbreaking to say it out loud.

"She's changing Jay, your mom knows more about it but I am ready to bet that she's feeling way more than you could imagine."

I wasn't losing anything from being hopeful but I was still restless.
Even if she felt the same, did I still hold her heart or did I already lose her?

"She might, but she won't forgive me this time. I chose to defend Dina over her."

My voice held despair, a black cloak englobing my every senses.

The former alpha sighed, knowing how deep I dug my misery, what kind of humain would take a side other than their other half? A brainless piece of shit.

"You own her nothing, you know that."

This time he was wrong and nothing could repay her what I took from her.

"Ryan, I own her Ryan dad."

He looked at me tired as all we did was circle around my problems without finding any solutions.

"Ryan was a criminal, if you didn't kill him, he'd have been executed."

"Still, we can't even imagine losing our mate, Dina is still suffering from it."

"If she was so loyal to her one month mate, she would live you alone so at least you could enjoy some peace with your mate."

"She didn't mean to-"

"Jay, she's an excellent doctor, a valuable pack member, but as a person, she's as low as a poisonous snake. Now tell me,  who's the one not letting go, because she couldn't have impacted your couple even if wanted to if you had your guard up."

"I'm not holding onto her."

His head went right to left. I wasn't seeing the picture he was showing me.

"You're holding onto your past."

...

His word hit hard.
Hours went by and they're still stuck in my head.