Chapter 34: Next Time

Serah POV

"So she was a woman"

These were the last words I muttered before taking my leave.

...

The sound of my heels clattering on the ancient balcony tiles was followed by the gentle friction of my gown on it.

Silence took over when I stopped to look upon the starry night.

Who was she? This woman...
They seemed close, too close.

I even heard it, I now know that he used to have feelings for her. Was she another of his exes?

I wind caressed my gown and my thoughts.

Did I really need that?
I was tired from the talk earlier with Garett.

How did he notice, no one knew, no one was supposed to.

...

Earlier:

I saw Jay scurry off with Theo leaving me alone, that person might be really special.

Max was it.

I didn't have the time to dwell on my thoughts that Jess came in running and bumped into me.
If it wasn't for my reflexes, the champagne would be decorating the floor right now.

The drink now secure in my hand, I turned my head to show her my most hypocritical smile.

"What was that for?"

I didn't know how words escaped my mouth as my teeth were glued together to maintain my smile.

"So sorry, but hurry up let's eat!!"

She didn't regret her actions as she, not so delicately, dragged me to our table.

I could never be angry at that girl.

Arrived there I was placed next to Jess and Jay. The Alpha and the beta family were all here, completing the table, except for my mate, he was still catching up with his friend.

I sat down with Jess who didn't waste her time to dig into the food.
However, the whole situation made me uneasy.

I had been eating sandwiches since I was here and it wasn't for nothing. It was because a certain someone tortured me with a fork. And everything had its repercussions.
I really want to get away from this place.
The clatter of the cutlery was making me sick.
I was about to faint from all these thoughts and memories.

When I was to enter a panic attack a voice distracted me from the mascarade going on in my head.

"Serah!? Do you mind coming with me to retrieve our alpha?"

Garett the previous alpha asked out of the blue.
Without a second thought, I got up not bothered to answer.
When I was next to him, he gently put his arms around my shoulders as if he wanted to protect me.

I looked at him with eyes that couldn't hide the fear I felt that day.

And he knew, well the next word confirmed my thoughts.

"How could you have hidden for so long?"

These simple words broke all the walls I built since that day.

"How did you?"

I didn't have the strength to finish my question, though it wasn't needed. And I still had to stop the stray tears from ruining my makeup.