Chapter 37: Red Team

Jayson POV

I f*cked up. Every step we took forward was destroyed by one cursed sentence.

"We are nothing"

Someone should burry me.

"I would have if I wasn't sharing your body!!"

Volker was right, I didn't deserve to breathe at this instant. I need to fix this situation but we needed to get to the packhouse. I wasn't letting her wander on her own without any undergarments.

"Serah please, let's go home."

I was pleading her at this point, she might have driven me mad but my words had no excuses. But her talking about her first love, whom I didn't even know the name, brought me on edge.

"It's no home for me, remember."

Her words were making their way to my brain. I stopped a second before registering what she said.

"Jay, are you trying to drive our mate away?!!"

The anger portrayed by my wolf couldn't be contained. I had to release it before I hurt someone in the process. I turned around and shifted. I bolted towards the packhouse with fury.

I was furious against her ruin our time because of Max and bringing up that no one. And mostly, I was furious at me.

How could I utter these words?!

"Because you're a brainless piece of shit. And don't let our mate alone!!"

My wolf wasn't going easy on me, he was roaring orders as if I was a pup. I knew better than to leave our mate in the state she was but she didn't want me any near her for now.

"Who cares about her thoughts! Retrieve her now!"

I growl louder as I didn't like the disrespect of my wolf but neither I, would respect myself in this condition.

I stopped thinking and I went turned back, even if she wanted nothing to do with me right now, I'll at least follow her till she made it to the packhouse.

It wasn't long to catch her up, I didn't go far and came back right away.

I saw her, bare feet, lost in her thoughts. The feelings she emanated were no longer sadness nor anger, it was a deep melancholy. It scared me, she wasn't reacting as a mate should. There was no way I would want to see her internally destroyed but she was supposed to feel that way. I didn't choose to feel that way but you had to. It tore me up to see that she wasn't feeling the mate bond like I did. Might just be the fact that she was human, I hoped that after the marking we would feel the same.

I was looking at her figure and I was caught off guard. There were dozens of rogues coming right in front of her. What was she doing?!! They were right under her nose but she wasn't reacting.

"Serah!! Get on the floor right now!"

She had to move. I was still pretty far from where she was so she had to get ahold of herself and hold on till I shift.

She got on the ground at time but it felt more like the rogue was trying to dodge her. My guess was right they had business with the pack and fortunately, they weren't interested in my mate.

"Serah! run to the packhouse right now!!"

She had to get out, she was a mere human among heartless creatures like us.

There was no time contemplating my mate, I shifted right away and tore into pieces the rogues coming at me. 

Serah was coming my way instead of running away from the massacre. I growled in disapproval. She wouldn't last against dozens of wolves in her human form. As she got closer half the wolf fighting went to surround her.