Chapter 38: Déjà vu

Serah POV

I was pacing back and forth in the pack living room, dirtying the floor with every step I took. I didn't care though. My hands made their way to my mouth and my nails collided with my teeth.

I was restless, nervous.

Something was happening. Something was happening to me.

"Serah will you stop and tell me?!"

I stopped and looked directly towards my baby sis. Do I tell her?  What I meant was, she'll surely know what to do.

"Jess, that man knows things we don't."

She didn't react. She was seated on the sofa without moving and her eyes emotionless, as if she was in trans, it didn't take long but she came back to me.

"Well, what does he know that we don't know?"

She didn't understand a thing I was saying, how would she? I didn't either.

"I think, I need to go home!"

I was decided. I made my way towards my room but a hand stopped me from exiting the living room. I didn't need to turn around to see that it was Jess's doing.

"Serah! You know, she's in China for the next two months, there is no point to go there now. Why don't you tell me?"

Her words made sense but anything that will come out of mine won't. Nevertheless, I let her pull me to the sofa. This time, I sat next to her but my tenseness never lowered.

"You need to keep it for you, Jess. The guy I encounter... He told me that I look like Iris."

She was surprised. Her globe could get out of their orbits by now. But anxiety rapidly replaced her expressions. She took my hand and we went outside. The cold breeze was making goosebumps down my legs.

"Jess, wait up, where are you taking me?"

I couldn't decipher her thoughts but we both knew that it wasn't safe.

"Jess-"

I called her one more time and she responded to my question this time.

"Serah, we both know that you're mom hid a lot of things from you but she made one thing clear. If you get out of your house and wander in our world you would not be safe, no one would be. Hence, I'm not letting you go alone but I promise you in two months we'll go see your mom together. For now, follow me."

Jess knew a lot. She was a werewolf and could discern every little change in your heartbeat if she wanted, she knew when you lied and she had a better sense of smell. You couldn't forever hide the truth from her, that's how little by little all the lies my mom built crumble to the ground.

It started with Kevin then the weapons and my uncle, Eos. All my mom would say was: It was to protect you and the world. We argued so much because of it but she loved me and I believed her. 

Although, this time, I won't standstill. I needed to know. 

I recognize our route, we were going back to her mansion. I didn't have their heightened view but I could see that there was a handful of people up the stairs in front of the main door.

I felt Jess stiffened as we picked up our pace. It didn't take long for us to join the little meeting, everyone was here; the previous and current alphas and betas, the luna, and a bunch of people I didn't know. Wait. She was here too, Max.

I was on stand by, I didn't want to interrupt them because their discussion seemed pretty serious. Jess took her mom apart and I followed them god knows where because I'll never get used to this house.