Chapter 14 (part 1): Keep your head held high

Serah POV

I felt tired.

I couldn't do anything. Yes, there was nothing that I could do. Not in this state at least. However, there was still something left: I could wait. Wait for Jessica to come and clear this fucking misunderstanding. By the way, where was that girl? I hoped that everything was alright for her but I had all the rights to think that my state might be slightly worse than hers, just sightly note the sarcasm. But still, I hoped that she was all good and nothing big happened.

A sound got me out of my reverie. It was two men talking quite loudly, probably about me.

"You don't have to, I already prepared something for her."

So they have prepared something for me, good to know.

"What did you say? That's nothing! She won't learn anything from that!"

"I don't care! You'll have to deal with it!"

"What's wrong with you Jay! I think the execution was way better than what you are proposing here!!"

A loud growl erupted from him, Jay, if I remembered right, was Jess' brother so the Alpha. Then I heard a person banged against the door of my cell.

"If you try to kill my mate another second, your head will be rolling on this floor!!!"

Wait what did he say! Mate! I thought that they were talking about me but they were talking about Jay's mate. So he found his so awaited mate.

"Wh- what did you say? Your ma- mate I'm s-sorry Volker I did not know."

What the hell! They are so confusing, wasn't that person Jay. There was a slight silence before someone broke it.

"It's okay Theo. I couldn't contain Volker anymore, with you trying to execute her and her behind that filthy cell so he just came out."

Oh, that was it. Jess' explained to me that your wolf could take control sometimes either by force or the human part letting them take over. That was surely what happened-
Wait, I'm missing the point here... I was his mate. How could that happen? I'm human, humans couldn't have a mate right? Or Could they?

I was so jealous of them when I heard that you could find your soulmate, the one made for you, the one you were not even sure to find at the end of your life. So I had a mate. That was the best thing that could have happened. Even if I was a supposed criminal, he will hear me out. I was his mate, werewolf live to find them and he waited his whole life to find her, to find me!
So my mate was Jay, from what I heard he was the most righteous person, funny and caring; I might be a lucky b*tch to have such a man for a lifetime.

I was about to talk but their voice cut me in my track.

"I'm sorry Jay, I sh-"

"Don't be. It wasn't you who paired me up with that pathetic human."

Ouch.
I didn't know why but something in me broke when he pronounced these word, maybe because I am his mate and wolf or not I felt it. I felt the hurt.

"Mate or not she won't be forgiven but she can't die. She's still my mate and I don't want to be the weakest alpha recorded in the history of red crescent."

Good to know. At least I knew what he felt about the whole mate thing.

"So what will you do?"

Theo asked.

"Make her wear this."

What would they want me to wear? How could they just torture an innocent? Weren't there trials before sentencing someone or a court where I could plead my innocence.

"Now, I understand why you chose this."

Theo, you're the only one understanding.

I, then heard a scuff coming probably from Jay.

"Do not underestimate our little toy here, it might have no consequences on her physical health but unfortunately, the same cannot be said for her mental health."

"What do you mean by that."

The same thing I thought Theo, did your goddess mixed up the mates. My humor won't die under any circumstances.

"Never heard of the heretic's fork?"

Jay answered.

"Never heard of, only seen that small piece of metal in your hands."

Theo answered back.

"That small piece? Bro, you can't even imagine what this small piece of metal could do! This torture method was outlawed because it was driving people crazy and they never got over from the trauma."

"Really?! With this two-headed fork? How does it even work?"

"Quite simply, one end of the device will be placed under her chin pushing it, the other to the sternum, and the strap will be used to secure her neck to the tool so that she wouldn't be able to close her eyes. If her head drops, the prongs will pierce her throat and chest."

"She'll lose her mind if she can't move."

"That's the point."

"You don't have to force yourself, you know."

"Theo! She's a criminal! How could any human beings do what she has done! My baby sister was taken away from us!"

"You're right-"

"Anyway, put this on her because I don't even want to see her face!"

I didn't know what to think after hearing all of this. I was Jayson's mate but for them also the abductor of Jess; there was no way to make them listen to me, well... there was one; as Jay's mate I could have got away from here by making him listen to me but that guy wouldn't even stay any close.

I thought that mates helped each other, loved each other no matter what. They had to stand by each other sides no matter what but no. He didn't even let me explain anything instead he preferred to let me rot in there to not be weakened because of his wolf.

He was nothing close to what she had described him to be or he changed.

"Hey!!"

Theo, the bêta in line if I heard right just got inside of my cell. Not that resentful as before but there was no compassion in his voice.

I lifted my head to have a better view of him.

There it was, that fork like choker.

"Yeah, just like this. You'll have to keep your head held high for a long time, trying to survive."

How ironic, I will have to keep my head high to show my submission.

There was no way I was giving them what they wanted.