Chapter 64: Shameless

Serah POV

"That's it Rem !!"

The little heir almost got his move.

"Serah! Did you see it! did you see I almost got it!!"

His excitement made the intimate group of adult, surrounding him, curve their lips into a soft smile.

I reciprocated his joy but we couldn't trick ourselves into thinking that everything is back to how it was.
The warriors around cheered for their future leader but we all knew, how bitter this week was.

...

As we entered the territory, light assaulted my weak pupils.
But there was nothing to see. Shivers ran uncontrollably all over my flesh, making my whole body alert.
I descended from Kamil's back and my feet danced around the same spot to cover all 360° of my view. The atmosphere was mixed with smoke, dirt and blood.
I could only see red.
The smell of the burning reality.
Their world was on fire and we came here for the little life of mine.
Shame was trying to exit my body through the unshed tears or the horrendous smell moving my stomach to my throat.

My brain couldn't process, how many of them were limping towards safety, how many of them were carried on crying arms.
The time stopped and I brought my fist to my aching chest.
My heart felt the anger, and accelerated consequently.
My inhaling and exhaling unevenly matched the broken scenery.

I couldn't dwell more on the mysery around as hands circled my shoulders.

"Serah calm down!!"

I heard him but I couldn't understand.
I wasn't this calm in years.
I pushed Kamil and his eyes reflected worry.

"I am."

I answered but my voice sounded unfamiliar.
Kamil explained without missing a beat.

"Your eyes, their bright yellow. I bet your senses are on full alert. I know how you feel but now is not the moment. Calm down and come back to us."

I heard him, but there was nothing to do about this anger. I felt myself sinking in my own body, I didn't want to be in control either before letting go, I felt a sharp pain in my nape and I was gone.

...

When I woke up that day, people were living in a nightmare. Many died, and a lot were hurt.
Furthermore, I learned that the people we were looking for, were Rem's parents, the kid whose mind I visited.
They were the former leaders of the pack, the Markens, Ice Moon's alpha family.
Unfortunately, their household was crumbling bit by bit.
The parents were assassinated, the older sister was in coma and Rem was struggling to open his eyes.
Asar Markens, was the one holding the pieces, a burden, he was alone to carry.
So obviously, no one was available to enlight us but we did still ask the only one standing.
As if his plate was not full enough, we came to him with questions he couldn't answer.
Asar was nice enough to let us access his family archives but there was no similar case to my aggressive episodes.

It was either about pure blood lycans or the hunters.
It was still instructive but our point was not cleared because I was neither human nor a lycan.
I was somewhere in the middle without a box to fit in.

After our research, I was left with one conclusion, I had to claim answers from my mom.
She knew about me, about Kevin...
Whatever, the real question was, where do I wait for her?
Red Crescent was out of option even if I love Jess and her family.
I might stay in Ice Moon as Rem was kind of clinging to me and Asar was grateful I was there for his baby brother.
Or I could go back home, visit the town and bond back with the few friends I made in highschool.
I sighed to myself, it wasn't an option either.
I didn't know how to go back to being human and didn't want to either.
Since I met Jess, I followed my college courses online so we could hang out more often, my life shifted way before meeting her family.