Chapter 2: Thanks Zaphira

Jessica POV

Some time ago, somewhere else

"Don't you dare open your eyes. Am I clear baby girl?"

My almighty brother also known as stupid Jay ordered. How dare he? I hated his guts but what I hated more was this old nickname!!

"Don't you ever call me that!! I'm exactly turning fourteen today!!!"

My shouting attracted useless attention to our fraternal argument.

"But you'll forever be labelled as 'our baby girl'."

An angelic voice that I could recognise among any other defended my stupid brother. Not fair at all.

"Mom, please!!!!"

Everyone laughed at my plea. A particular giggle annoyed me as hell and it all started because of that person.

"Jay, you shut up!!"

My complain was betrayed by the smile that was raising on my lips. I could never be angry at Jay, even though he was the dumbest person I had ever met.

"Okay, okay... Baby girl!"

He said while bursting into a laugh once again. Like I said; the dumbest person I had ever met.

"You should address your soon to be alpha with respect dear."

Still blind, I recognised my dad with his powerful voice.

"Then tell your son to stop teasing me!"

The comment gained a second round of laughter. To be expected I was the funny kid.
However, it was no longer amusing. Every single sound turned into an unbearable silence. What was happening, before having a panic attack, Jay's hands were removed from my face.

My eyes adjusted naturally because the only light that could be seen was the one emanating from the candles, placed on my -.

Wouah the cake... It was the most beautiful cake I had ever seen. The strawberries were nicely cut to form a rose and it was complemented with all kind of berries around it. Then an intense flavor of red berries invaded my nostrils. I couldn't keep my hands to myself anymore. As I tried to take the decorated knife, I heard the whole pack sing:

"Happy birthday to you!! Happy birthday to you!!! Happy birthday to you Jessica!!!!!!!! Happy birthday to you!"

I blew my candles and it generated a round of applause. Now, I thought to myself, like predator eyeing her prey, it was the time to catch this knife. I couldn't fail. However, my brother had decided otherwise when he took it right in front of my eyes.

"Why such a hurry, it won't disappear."

He whispered to me, well it was better this way; I wouldn't want the whole pack making fun of me all over again.

...

As everyone enjoyed the party, I directed myself to the buffet to take my second service... maybe the third; anyway.

When I went closer to the food, my wolf screamed in my head.

"Take the meat right now!! There are too many people prowling around it!!!"

Here we go again.

"Zaphira!! Stop it, there is enough food for a whole pack."

"But you just shifted this morning, you need way more energy-"

"Don't worry, I'm totally fine."

"But-"

I blocked her, if not, she'll make me devour the whole buffet-