Chapter 56: Which room?

Serah POV

My eyelids were unbearably heavy. It was a struggle on its own to open them wide. All I knew, for a matter of seconds, I wasn't myself and I had to answer Kamil's questions.

There was no more staying in that black and cozy place of my head that I was brought back by the caress of the blowing wind.

"Serah?! Are you awake?"

It was Kamil's voice at the end of my slumber. It wasn't unpleasant but the only thought of him asking questions I wouldn't know how to answer was giving me a headache.

By an unknown miracle, my lashes bore my eyelids open. I was met with a grey sky, clouds were battling for some space but none could budge out the dark cumulonimbus.

It was a clear sign for us to evacuate the place.

Where are we in the first place?

My arms were tickled by the high grass. I took this second to enjoy the little bit of freedom I felt after being caged in a pack that made me forget who I was.

"Kam, could you bring me to the house? The code is 71b56."

I didn't wait for a reply as I sank back into my unconsciousness.

...

I woke up from my sleep with a start. I then realised that Kamil was picking up the pan from the floor. He turned around and saw me wide awake because of the uproar he made.

"Good morning to you too!"

With a rasp and dehydrated voice, my sarcasm sounded better. He quickly came over with a glass of water.

The sips lodged in my throat knowing exactly what my body needed. Though, I might need a shower first.

"I'm going to clean myself."

He looked at me surprised as if I was stupid.

"In this house? Nothing is working, no water, no gas, and electricity."

It was my turn to look at him fazed with all the stupid things he could say.

"Who would go on a three-month vacation with everything on?"

He blushed from the embarrassment and I left to get my house back in shape.

...

After a long shower, the sun set and I rejoined Kamil who was nice enough to make us dinner with whatever he found in the cupboard.

I sat at the table and he came, living the food behind.

"I made a salad of pasta with dried meat and tomato. Is that good for you?"

The tension in his voice said he had better to ask but ended up with a random and useless question.

"Kamil, ask me what you want to ask?"

His jaw clenched to the pressure and decided to get on the serious matter.

"Your injury, why is it gone?"

I only remembered now that the rogue damaged my ribs and I had nothing. Not even the pain persisted.

"I can't explain."

"What happened earlier? How did you kill them?"

Again, the same question I asked myself months ago. What happened? I looked down at the table and once again I couldn't answer.

"I don't know."

He sat up attending his past business.

"Serah, we're both curious about the same thing and we both cannot bring along an answer. I have so much more to ask again but you cannot answer me and neither can I."

He left a silence between us and only the utensils sometimes clashing between them filled the void. I didn't try to help him as we both needed our private space for a while.

After a while, he came with a large bowl full of salad. I salivated at the mere thought of having the marinated pasta in my mouth. Where did he find the green pepper? I didn't know we had these things at home.

I moved back my drenched hair ready to have a bite. But things didn't go as planned, when I saw the fork I flinched against my will. And I moved back.

My hands started to shake uncontrollably, my eyes were full of tears and the air in my lungs started to leave.

I brought my hands to my gorge as if they could contain the air inside.

I tried my best to not make any deranging sound but my face was not spared from the grimace.

"Serah?! What's happening?"

I tried to show him the fork and he realised on his own. I got rid of them as fast as he could and I tried to picture myself in a jacuzzi far from all this mess. Five long seconds passed, Kamil all the way with me, till the panic attack drifted away.

I muttered a 'sorry' as I kept troubling him. He helped me to sit back on my chair and this time he brought some spoons so we could eat without me dying.

"How long has it been? Your..."

It might be an opportunity to give him a proper answer this time. I wasn't saying that aloud as we didn't need any mirthless laughter.

"The beginning."

"Since the day you were imprisoned?"

He was being careful with his words but he didn't need to, it was my body reacting, not me holding any grudge.

"Yes."

I looked confused.

"How did you do in Red Crescent?"

"I've been eating sandwiches."

He nodded and we went back to eat. It felt awkward now. Kamil was cautious around me as he tried to not me make with his spoon and eating in an uncomfortable position trying to hide his spoon.

I felt bad, all of this because of five minutes of breathing hard.

"Please Kamil, you're making it worse."

His coffee eyes met mine and he apologized.

We were all done eating the food that we found and now we had to talk about tomorrow. What was the plan? Should we stay here a few days or should we run to Ice Moon, we had to decide tonight.

"What should we do now?"

Kamil looked at me and tried to reflect on a solution. He put his hand on his stubble and then rubbed his tired eyes.

"We have to get to Ice Moon first thing tomorrow, the rogues will not detect us for the first ten minutes. We have to use this advance throughout our whole journey so they wouldn't catch up. It's the best solution for your safety and the answers."

I didn't add my thoughts as what he said made sense. Tomorrow we had to go and we'll know more about this whole mess.

"We should be ready at dawn. Follow me, I'll show you your room."

I took the lead but the man caught me off guard.

"So in which room Kevin used to sleep in?"

I turned around, shock written all over my face. What did he say Kevin- And in which room- My face turned into a fierce red as at some point we used my bed for our two bodies.

Still in a state of bewilderment, my lips opened and closed not yet finding the right wording.

"Kevin? How do you know him?"

In a tight smile, he said the following, something I should have recognized long ago.

"He's my little cousin."

...

Sorry guys I forgot to post but here we go. Another chapter, there is nothing new but the next chapter will give you all your answers!!

Thanks again for following and reading till here!! It means a lot!! A special thanks to all the people that vote and comment!!! It's so nice of you all!!

By the way, are you guys on vacation?