falling asleep in her arms

The soft whisper of your name in your ear and the feeling of your girlfriend's fingers lovingly trailing along your arm made you stir from your slumber. You were met with her pretty brown eyes when you opened yours, finding her gazing at you adoringly before she began to caress your cheek.

"Did I fall asleep?"

"Yeah." She said, smiling a little. "You've been out cold since the first twenty minutes of the movie. I didn't have the heart to wake you until now. It's over."

You sat up and stretched out on the sofa. You looked out the window and your eyes went wide upon seeing that it was dark. One look at the clock on the wall of her living room told you that it was nearing midnight and although you didn't have anywhere to be tomorrow, you still had to get home before it got too late.

"What are you doing?" She asked as you reached for your shoes by the table, only for her to pull them out of your hand and drop them back onto the floor.

"Ryujin? I need to get home. It's late and I'm exhausted and-"

"You shouldn't be driving." She said, voice soft as her hand returned to your cheek. "You can hardly keep your eyes open and you just told me that you're exhausted. You're in no condition to drive home right now."

"Then what do I do?"

"Stay with me."

You couldn't deny the flutter in your heart at the thought alone. Spending the night wrapped in her arms sounded amazing.

"Are you sure?"

"I wouldn't have asked you if I wasn't, baby. Trust me, I've been waiting for a night like this. I've been wanting to ask you to stay but I always get too nervous to, wondering if you're not ready for that. But I think you really need to tonight and I want you to, more than anything."

You hugged her, beaming from ear to ear as you laid your head on her chest and closed your eyes.

"I want that more than anything, too."

She nodded and had you get up so she could lay down on the sofa before she pulled you down with her. Your head fell to her chest once more and she put her arms around you to hold you close.

"I wish I wasn't so tired. I'd spend half the night alone just talking to you."

She laughed happily before moving so she could kiss the crown of your head lingeringly.

"We've got all the time in the world tomorrow, y/n. Don't you worry about falling asleep right now when you're so tired. We'll have other nights. I'm just happy to hold you tonight as you sleep instead of dreaming about and sending you a goodnight text."

You nodded and opened your heavy eyes while puckering your lips, wanting one sweet kiss before you fell asleep, which she was more than happy to give you.

"My girl," she whispered lovingly, staring down at you drifting off to sleep on her chest as her heart swelled with love for you. "I love you so much. Thank you for staying tonight. I'll treat you to a good breakfast at your favorite spot in the morning."

"I love the sound of that."

"And I love you." She whispered and you mumbled the words back to her as she covered you both with the blanket that hung over the back of the couch and then fell asleep in her arms; feeling more content and happy than you've felt in a long while.