Chapter 56

Dogday was exhausted the next day. Every time he would close his eyes for a second he would jolt awake again. Catnap stayed up with Dogday watching him with worry. Everyone was still asleep, but Catnap had his paw resting on Dogday's knee as he watched the dog shaking. "I can't sleep.." Dogday mumbles looking at Catnap with tears in his eyes. "I know.. and I refuse to use my poppy gas because that's the reason for the nightmares you had.." Catnap looked at his friend with a frown. Dogday hugs Catnap and sobs into his shoulder as Catnap holds Dogday, wrapping his tail around the poor sad pup. Mommy Longlegs awoke to hearing crying, her maternal instincts kicked in as she looked for the crying. Her heart sank as she saw it was Dogday, the brave leader of the Smiling Critters. "Awww... what's wrong honey?" Mommy asked in a bit of a childish tone to try and coax the dog to speak. Dogday whined into Catnap's shoulder, but the cat turned the dog around to face Mommy, yet he still hugged Dogday from behind. Bringing his knees up to his chest and curling his tail around his right leg, he looked up at Mommy with tears in his eyes but she wiped them away and kissed his forehead. "Dogday, what's wrong dearie?" Mommy asks her voice calm. Dogday stayed silent and hid his face in his knees crying again. "This isn't good" said Catnap concerned for his friend. "No, it's no-" just as Mommy was about to speak Kicken ran into the dog house screaming and panicked "GUYS HOPPY IS GONE!!" after he said that everyone was on high alert, all except Dogday.