Chapter 41: Dog Sitter

A low, persistent whine disrupted the tranquility of (y/n)'s Saturday morning slumber. Grumbling in protest, she groggily pulled the warm sheets over her head, hoping to drown out the noise. However, Kenta, her energetic canine companion, had other plans. Pawing at her, he emitted small yips, his furry face a picture of hopeful anticipation.

Reluctantly, (y/n) roused from her cozy cocoon, blinking away sleep as she realized the reason behind Kenta's persistent pleas. A surge of realization hit her like a lightning bolt. She had completely forgotten about her plan to surprise the second-year teammates who were diligently studying at Tanaka's place.

"Oh no!" she exclaimed, her voice laced with both annoyance and concern. Her older brother, who usually took care of Kenta in her absence, was out of town, leaving her in a dilemma. "Nii-chan is gone, and I can't bring Kenta with me to Tanaka's." Panic swirled within her, causing her thoughts to race. "Dammit, what should I do? Wait!"

Throwing off the covers with determination, (y/n) sprung out of bed, her mind racing for a solution. In a flash of inspiration, an idea took shape. She needed someone she could trust to take care of Kenta while she joined her teammates. Realizing who to call, she reached for her phone, the urgency evident in her actions.

Her fingers danced across the screen as she dialed a familiar number, her heart beating faster with each ring. Anticipation and a hint of worry mingled within her as she waited for the call to connect. Finally, a familiar voice sounded through the speaker, breaking the silence.

"Hello?" came the voice on the other end of the line, a mix of curiosity and surprise.

...

(Y/n) stood nervously at the doorstep, her heart fluttering with a mix of gratitude and slight embarrassment. She fiddled with the hem of her shirt, her fingers tracing the fabric's texture, while she absentmindedly twirled a strand of her (h/c) hair. Kenta, her lively companion, stood by her side, his tail wagging enthusiastically as he took in the new surroundings.

Finally, the front door swung open, revealing Kindaichi standing before her. A warm smile adorned his face, tinged with a subtle blush that revealed his excitement at (y/n)'s unexpected visit.

"Hey, Kindaichi!" (y/n) greeted him with genuine gratitude, her eyes shining with appreciation. "Thank you so much for agreeing to look after Kenta. I know it's last minute, and I really appreciate your help."

Kindaichi's blush deepened slightly, his eyes filled with a mix of fondness and admiration. "No problem at all," he reassured her earnestly. "I genuinely enjoy spending time with Kenta, and I'm always happy to be your dog sitter whenever you need it."

As if to affirm Kindaichi's words, Kenta barked joyfully, circling around the Aoba Johsai player. The tall teen knelt down, scooping up the energetic pup in his arms, his eyes meeting (y/n)'s with a soft smile.

"You go ahead and do whatever you need to do," Kindaichi said, his voice gentle and warm. "I'll keep this little guy busy and make sure he has a great time."

Kenta responded with a series of slobbery kisses, showering Kindaichi's face with affectionate enthusiasm. (Y/n) couldn't help but laugh at the adorable sight, her heart swelling with gratitude for Kindaichi's willingness to help.

"Okay, thanks again, Kindaichi!" (y/n) expressed her gratitude once more, her words filled with sincerity. "I promise I won't be too long."

With a quick kiss to Kenta's furry head, (y/n) bid farewell to her furry friend, reminding him to behave. As she turned to leave, Kindaichi waved goodbye, his cheeks adorned with a rosy blush. A cheesy smile played on his lips, his heart fluttering with the newfound responsibility and the prospect of spending quality time with the energetic pup.