Chapter 142: Karasuno VS Tsubakihara Academy - The First Set

As the anticipation reached its peak, Karasuno's team stood poised at the precipice of their first match in the tournament. Across the net awaited their adversaries, the formidable Tsubakihara Academy hailing from the illustrious Kanagawa Prefecture.

The opening set commenced with Karasuno taking the serve, the anticipation palpable as Kageyama unleashed a thunderous jump serve, only to watch it sail wide. In response, Iwamuro from Tsubakihara stepped up to the service line, delivering a precise shot aimed directly where Kageyama typically positioned himself to set, challenging Karasuno's rhythm from the start. Despite the disruption, Tanaka's quick reflexes salvaged the play, keeping the ball in play.

As the rally unfolded, it became evident that Tsubakihara would offer no easy victory. Karasuno sensed the challenge ahead, with Kageyama grappling to adapt to the unfamiliar high ceiling of the gymnasium, his precision momentarily faltering under the new conditions.

As the scoreboard tilted in favor of Tsubakihara at 7-11, a sense of urgency gripped Karasuno's sidelines. The need to shift the momentum was undeniable. With a nod of determination, Keishin turned to the bench, summoning Yamaguchi to the forefront.

"Yamaguchi, you're up," he announced, his voice carrying a note of encouragement.

Yamaguchi stepped onto the court, a mixture of nerves and determination evident in his stance. Taking his position at the service line, he steadied his breathing, channeling the countless hours of practice into this pivotal moment. With a focused gaze, he sent the ball sailing over the net, his serve carrying a newfound confidence.

The ball grazed the top of the net, teetering on the edge of uncertainty before gracefully dropping on Tsubakihara's side. A collective gasp rose from the crowd as Karasuno claimed the point, the score inching closer at 8-11.

Encouraged by Yamaguchi's success, Karasuno's spirits lifted. The next serve saw Yamaguchi summoning all his resolve, his determination evident in each precise movement. The ball flew over the net with precision, catching Tsubakihara off guard. A fumble from the opposing team ensued, gifting Karasuno another point. The score now stood at 9-11.

Amidst the cheers and applause, (y/n) seized the opportunity to offer words of praise to Yamaguchi as he returned to the sidelines. "Great serves out there, Yamaguchi! You really turned the tide for us," she exclaimed, her voice filled with genuine admiration.

Yamaguchi's cheeks flushed with a mixture of pride and gratitude at (y/n)'s compliment. "Thanks, (y/n)-san. I'm glad I could contribute," he replied, his eyes reflecting the newfound confidence sparked by her words.

With renewed vigor, Karasuno rallied together, fueled by Yamaguchi's heroic effort. The freckled boy's performance served as a beacon of hope, igniting a fire within the team as they prepared to battle back against their formidable opponents.

As Kageyama adjusted to the high stakes of the match, his precision returned with a vengeance. With a flick of his wrist, he delivered a flawless set to Hinata, who soared through the air like a comet, crashing the ball down with an intensity that echoed through the gymnasium. The eruption of cheers from Karasuno's supporters signaled the beginning of a fierce battle.

Yet, amidst the fervor of competition, tensions flared between Hinata and Kageyama. Their disagreement threatened to disrupt the team's synergy, prompting (y/n) to intervene with a firm yet calming voice. "Enough, you two! Save it for the game," she admonished, her tone brooking no argument.

Caught off guard by (y/n)'s intervention, Hinata and Kageyama exchanged sheepish glances before acquiescing to her authority. Their brief spat quelled, they refocused their energies on the match at hand, their determination undiminished.