Chapter 22: Birth of the Inner Demon

Han Li stood silently, watching Li Feiyu's figure gradually fade into the distance, lost in his thoughts.

They had just agreed that Li Feiyu would come back the next day before noon to collect the medicine. He had bid farewell voluntarily, saying he needed to recuperate further.

Throughout the long encounter, Han Li hadn't pressed Li Feiyu for the reasons behind taking the secret medicine. Han Li knew that questioning him wouldn't change what had already transpired.

If Li Feiyu was willing to forsake his future for present glory as "Senior Li," there must be a compelling reason. No one willingly sought their own demise, even with a slow and costly method like the marrow-purging pill. Pressing him to reveal his reasons would only reopen nearly healed wounds.

Han Li's decision was clear. As Li Feiyu left without questioning his motives, Han Li felt grateful for his understanding. Though unspoken, Li Feiyu owed him a significant debt.

Han Li intended to honor their agreement. Not only would he keep Li Feiyu's secret, but he also decided to prepare a medicine to alleviate his pain once back at the valley.

The reason was simple. If Li Feiyu wasn't a villain and hadn't truly intended to harm him, then Han Li wanted him indebted to him for future favors. As Li Feiyu's martial skills improved over the years, the likelihood of him being of assistance increased. Even if Han Li didn't require his help in the coming years, aiding someone in need wasn't a bad thing. Though Li Feiyu might not necessarily be a good person, after today's events, he wouldn't pose any threat to Han Li.

Having pondered over everything, Han Li felt satisfied that he hadn't overlooked anything. With that, he leisurely returned to the Divine Hands Valley.

Not long after returning to the valley, Han Li began preparing the secret medicine Li Feiyu needed. It wasn't difficult to concoct, as all the necessary herbs could be found in the valley's medicinal garden. However, the process was meticulous and required careful attention.

After a busy afternoon, Han Li had prepared enough medicine to last Li Feiyu a year. He didn't make more than necessary, intending for Li Feiyu to return annually to collect it, ensuring he wouldn't forget the favor owed.

As evening approached, Han Li did something out of character. He sat in a chair outside his door, gazing up at the dark sky and the bright moon, lost in thought.

Once again, he found himself yearning for his family back home. It had been over four years since he left his parents. Since then, he had devoted himself entirely to cultivation, scarcely sparing a thought for home. He had never returned, but instead sent most of the money he earned back home. He received only occasional letters from his family, reporting that everything was fine, but he noticed a subtle change in their tone over time, becoming more distant and formal. This realization left him feeling uneasy, unsure of how to respond.

He reached for the small pouch containing the protective talisman hanging around his neck, pressing it against his chest. Normally, this action brought him comfort, but tonight, it only seemed to agitate him further. He couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong, as if an inner demon had been awakened.

Han Li quickly realized that something was amiss. His body felt out of control, and his qi and blood churned restlessly. An unsettling sensation crept over him, threatening to overwhelm him.

"Could it be demonic possession?" The terrifying thought crossed his mind. Han Li stood up, took a deep breath, and forced himself to calm down. With Mo Daifu absent, he had to handle this crisis on his own.

Han Li couldn't fathom why he would suddenly be afflicted with such a condition. Though it wasn't the time to delve into the root cause, finding it would be the key to resolving this troubling situation.

He scanned his surroundings, searching for any conspicuous objects. His gaze fell upon the small pouch around his neck.

"The pouch... the protective talisman." The realization struck him.

"Could it be the source of my distress?" Han Li wasn't certain, but he couldn't afford to hesitate any longer. His condition was worsening, and he risked losing control at any moment.

Han Li decisively reached out, tore the pouch from his neck, and flung it away.

"No, it's getting worse. My qi and blood are roiling even more intensely."

Han Li struggled to suppress the turmoil within him, his eyes bloodshot as he fixated on the discarded pouch, hoping to uncover the cause of his escalating distress.