Chapter 150: Regret and Reneging

"Take over the Baiyao Garden in Qingshi Ridge and submit the prescribed amount of rare medicinal materials annually."

Seeing these golden words on the bamboo slip, Han Li was greatly delighted. He pointed to the bamboo slip and looked up at Steward Yu, saying, "I'm quite interested in this task. Could Senior Brother introduce it to me?"

Upon hearing Han Li's words, Steward Yu smiled and approached. But when he saw the task Han Li had chosen clearly, the smile on his face immediately turned into a bitter one.

"Junior Brother, it's better to choose another task. Taking over the garden is too difficult, not suitable for you!" Steward Yu said sincerely. Seeing Han Li's puzzled expression, he continued to explain:

"This task has been posted here for several years, and many disciples have taken it on, but they all messed it up. Not only did they not get rewards, but they also got fined a lot of spirit stones. It can be said to be one of the most difficult tasks here. And don't laugh at me, I have to make senior brothers draw lots every year to assign this task!"

After hearing this, Han Li found it somewhat amusing but also began to wonder. However, he had no intention of giving up just yet, so he humbly asked for advice:

"Senior Brother, could you please tell me what makes this task so difficult and why so many senior brothers have failed? Isn't it just managing the herbs in the garden? Is that really so hard?"

"Is Junior Han choosing Master Ma's garden task?" A familiar voice suddenly interrupted from behind, as a surname Ye elderly man listened to their conversation and jumped in before Steward Yu could respond.

"Exactly! Junior Han has set his sights on Master Ma's incredibly difficult task," Steward Yu said with a wry smile.

Upon hearing this, the elderly man also chuckled.

"Haha! Junior Han sure knows how to pick! He's picked the most troublesome task here at first glance. But, this task is indeed quite troublesome. Several disciples have been forced to take on this task and have complained to me about it. But because Master Ma refuses to change the reward and penalty conditions, I have no choice! If Junior Han wants to know the details of this task, he can come with me to the inner hall to see the relevant records. It's better than others just telling you with their mouths!" The Ye patriarch of the Hundred Machinery Hall seemed very generous towards Han Li for some reason, opening the door for him in many ways.

Han Li inwardly frowned at this, finding the Ye patriarch's enthusiasm a bit excessive. Although he had traded the Foundation Establishment Pill with him, it appeared to be an equal transaction on the surface, so there was no need for the patriarch to be so affectionate towards him.

Suppressing his doubts, Han Li pretended to be pleasantly surprised and followed the elderly man into a room behind the main hall, where various scrolls were piled up.

The elderly man in the room waved the bamboo slip lightly, and a scroll flew into his hand with a flash of green light. He then handed the scroll to Han Li.

Since things had reached this point, Han Li didn't hesitate to take the scroll and quickly read through its contents.

The scroll was not long, only recording the self-narrated experiences of the previous disciples who had taken over the garden, as well as their reasons for failure. So Han Li quickly understood the content and difficulty of this task.

"How about it? Would you like to choose another task? Although the rewards for this task are generous, it's indeed not something ordinary disciples can accomplish," the elderly man said, seemingly concerned.

After hearing this, Han Li pondered for a moment before decisively shaking his head and saying, "Thank you, Patriarch Ye! However, I'm quite interested in this task. There's no need to change it. I'll choose it!"