Chapter 77: Countermeasures

"However, how did they break through the outer perimeter guards on the mountain? When we fled back to the mountain, we had already instructed the guards along the way to be on high alert." Li Feiyu muttered to himself with doubt.

"There's nothing strange about that. Wild Wolf Gang must have planned this large-scale attack for a long time. It's easy for them to insert a few spies in the outer perimeters. With these insiders leading the way, it's quite common for the guard posts to be silently taken down by them," Han Li said calmly.

"But it's impossible for Wild Wolf Gang to easily take down all the branch halls. I estimate they want to encircle all the peaks where the branch halls are located and then concentrate other experts to attack the main hall on Sunset Peak. As long as they can capture or kill the core figures of our sect, the other branch halls will collapse on their own," he continued.

"What should we do now? Should we go to Sunset Peak?" Li Feiyu asked impatiently.

Han Li fell silent for a moment before turning to Li Feiyu and said in a deep voice, "You haven't told me how so many experts in the negotiation team were all wiped out. Wild Wolf Gang shouldn't have such great strength."

Li Feiyu's muscles twitched slightly upon hearing this, and he licked his chapped lips before speaking with a bitter smile, "They used a large number of repeating crossbows, all of them military-grade enhanced crossbows."

"Military-grade repeating crossbows?"

"Yes."

"At that time, we had only left the mountain for two days and were walking on a grassy plain. Because we were still within our territory, everyone was relaxed. Suddenly, countless members of the Wild Wolf Gang emerged from the ground around us, each with a heavy crossbow. Then a barrage of arrows rained down upon us. The density of the arrows caused most of the disciples with weaker martial skills to die under the onslaught. Only a few with high martial skills or good luck managed to escape, albeit with injuries. I was one of the lucky ones; otherwise, I wouldn't have made it back."

"After the arrow barrage, their experts attacked, and we were plunged into a bitter battle. In order to increase our chances of survival, we decided to split up and break through individually."

"It was fortunate for me that I wasn't considered a high-priority target, so there weren't many pursuers after me, and my martial skills didn't seem impressive. But when I tried to return, I found that the bases along the way, where we were supposed to be stationed, had already been taken over by members of the Wild Wolf Gang, waiting to trap those of us who had slipped through the net. After being tricked once or twice, I dared not seek help anymore."

"Curious about the situation of the others, I ambushed a law enforcement member of the Wild Wolf Gang later and learned from him that Master Wu and several elders had been surrounded and killed by numerous experts from the enemy. Only a few of us, who weren't considered important targets but had decent martial skills, managed to escape."

"After learning this news, I didn't dare to delay for a moment and rushed back to the mountain. On the way, I accidentally encountered two other law enforcement members who had escaped like me, so we fled together for a day and a night until we finally returned to the mountain."

"As soon as I returned here, the two law enforcement members went to Sunset Peak to inform Master Wang of the negotiation team's annihilation. I made up an excuse of needing to heal my injuries and secretly came to you to discuss our next move."

"You know, with Master Wu and so many others dead in the ambush, and only a few of us, who are neither high nor low in status but managed to escape back, I'm worried that we'll be scapegoated for this. Who knows if those above will vent their anger on us and treat us as scapegoats."

"Now, before I even tell you about this, the people from Wild Wolf Gang are already here. What should we do now?" Li Feiyu finished his long explanation, looking somewhat helpless.

Han Li furrowed his brows and pondered for a moment. The sounds of battle outside the mountain grew more intense, occasionally punctuated by the wails of the dying, sending shivers down one's spine.

"Do you still have subordinates on the mountain?" Han Li's voice became very low.

"Yes, I have more than twenty subordinates, all stationed near Elder Li's house. I originally planned to wait for the negotiation team to return before taking them out of the mountain for business," Li Feiyu replied.

"Alright, let's go to Elder Li's residence first, gather these people together, and then meet with Miss Zhang Xiu'er and Elder Li. As for the next step, we'll decide after understanding the situation," Han Li said calmly and rationally.

"Okay, I'll follow your lead."

"Now that it's so chaotic outside, I'm really worried about Xiu'er!" Li Feiyu grew nervous.

Han Li glanced at Li Feiyu, unsure of what to make of him. On one hand, he showed extreme concern for Zhang Xiu'er, and on the other hand, knowing that his life was short, he still insisted on marrying her, practically ensuring she would become a widow. "What a contradictory guy," Han Li thought to himself, silently giving his friend an unflattering assessment.

Ignoring Li Feiyu, who had suddenly turned into a lovesick fool, Han Li went back into the house and swiftly began to gather essential items.