Chapter 42

Wen Renlian smiled softly, a gesture that to Jiang Luo seemed laced with ill intent. "You don't need to dress as a woman. I see the village girls just wrap themselves in long robes; there's not much difference between men's and women's clothing."

Jiang Luo was adamant, "Impossible."

Wen Renlian played the pity card, "But I'm going alone, and we're short-handed."

Jiang Luo pointed towards Zhuo Zhongqiu, who was retreating with him, "Is Zhuo Zhongqiu not an option?"

Zhuo Zhongqiu's expression twisted, "Jiang Luo, that's really not necessary."

Wen Renlian's voice was soft and gentle, "Zhongqiu could work, but they only select girls to enter the shrine. I'm afraid it would be dangerous for Zhongqiu. Boys are safer."

Jiang Luo was speechless.

Whenever he felt pissed off, he'd curse Chi You.

Fucking Chi You.

...

The others were sent outside.

The ghost, holding a knife, stood next to Lu Youyi, staring into the house, curiously emotionless, "What are they doing?"

"They're doing something very painful," said Lu Youyi, "mostly for Jiang Luo."

The ghost frowned and was about to barge in when Lu Youyi quickly held him back, "Hey, hey, what do you think you're doing?"

"I want to protect my friend," the ghost turned back to look at him, "Won't you miss me? It's okay, you can come in and save them with me. I'll protect you."

Lu Youyi: "...I never realized you were this kind of person."

"What kind? Talkative or very loyal?" The ghost attempted a smile, but his paralysis-stricken face could only manage a stiff twitch at the corner of his lips. He frowned in confusion, forcing out a creepy distorted grin, "I also love to laugh."

Liao Si, eavesdropping from the side, was speechless.

This was definitely not the Teng Bi he knew.

Lu Youyi shivered, "Ghost, please stop laughing! They're doing something important; you can't go in and disturb them!"

"What important thing?" the ghost inquired, "I can't just watch my friend suffer."

Lu Youyi's expression was oddly amused, "You want to endure the pain for Jiang Luo?"

It seemed like he was trying to suppress a laugh.

The ghost nodded, as if it was the most natural thing in the world, "We're all his friends. Friends should face difficulties together."

Standing nearby, Zhuo Zhongqiu and Ge Zhu immediately applauded, "Well said!"

They pushed the ghost and Lu Youyi into the room, Ge Zhu remarked with admiration, "You truly are great friends. The task of exploring the shrine will be left to you four. The rest of us will wait outside to back you up."

Lu Youyi was questioning his life choices, "No, no, that's not what I meant!"

But they were already being pushed into the room.

Wen Renlian, who was applying makeup to Jiang Luo, looked up at the sound and smiled in satisfaction, "Welcome to the mission."

He shook his hand, dispersing powder into the air, and looked at Lu Youyi and the ghost, both robust and tall, sincerely saying, "I'll do my best to turn you into beautiful girls."