Chapter 176

Jiang Luo, wielding a baseball bat, smashed the car sent by Chi You, and after that satisfaction, he contacted the used car market. He sold the million-dollar luxury car for a hundred thousand.

With the money, he bought a new phone and a used car, heading straight to the Jokhang Temple the next day.

During the New Year at the Jokhang Temple, they didn't turn away pilgrims since many people had the habit of offering incense and praying during the holiday. Ge Zhu, familiar with the surroundings, took Jiang Luo to meet Master Chengde. Master Chengde was chatting with the abbot while watering the flowers.

Both were prominent figures in the Jokhang Temple—one, the abbot, and the other, a respected elder. Seeing Ge Zhu, both their faces lit up with surprise. Master Chengde uttered "Amitabha" and joyfully said, "Ge Zhu, I didn't expect to see you during the New Year."

Ge Zhu, feeling somewhat dazed since entering the Jokhang Temple, managed a smile at the words. "Master Chengde, how have you and the abbot been this year?"

"Not bad at all," the two elderly men laughed together. "Fortune favors us with auspicious snow; this year's luck is quite good."

After listening to their conversation for a while, Master Chengde turned his gaze to Jiang Luo. "Junior brother, you see, this is the benefactor Jiang Luo I mentioned to you."

The aged abbot also looked over with a gleam in his eyes. "Haha, a good lad."

Jiang Luo humbly said, "I had wanted to visit the Jokhang Temple earlier, but I only made it now. I hope it's not too disrespectful."

"No disrespect at all!" the abbot chuckled. He then turned to Master Chengde and instructed, "Take Jiang Luo for a tour around our Jokhang Temple. Ge Zhu, stay and chat with me. It's been a long time since I last saw you; share some stories with your senior uncle."

Ge Zhu's eyes turned red instantly. "Yes."

The Jokhang Temple occupied an entire hill, majestic and solemn. Jiang Luo and Master Chengde visited several temples, chatting casually. Master Chengde was patient, answering every question Jiang Luo had. Under his guidance, Jiang Luo paid respects to the Buddha and entered secluded temples accessible only to disciples.

Jiang Luo sighed, "The Jokhang Temple is magnificent. After this tour, I feel spiritually uplifted. Truly a sacred place in the Buddhist realm."

Master Chengde smiled, "The Jokhang Temple didn't always look like this. It took years of dedication to build, brick by brick. Even now, there are parts awaiting renovation. Let me show you."

He led Jiang Luo to a ruin, pointing at it. "This place has never been repaired."

The ruin showed signs of fire damage, collapsed buildings, charred beams – a scene of devastation. Yet, from the remnants, one could glimpse the former beauty of the structure.

Jiang Luo inquired, "What is this?"

"This was once the Jokhang Temple's scripture repository," sighed Master Chengde. "It's not a secret. You can easily find out. Within a century, our Buddhist community had a heartless traitor named Ge Wuchen. The name still infuriates and saddens me. When Ge Wuchen defected, he set fire to the scripture repository. His master and two senior brothers were inside – all perished in the flames."

Master Chengde spoke with visible agitation, "He burned the repository, killed some of his peers, and then disappeared. His brother, Ge Zhu, bears the guilt silently. Not long after, he left the Jokhang Temple with a few siblings who refused to abandon him."

"If I ever see that traitor again, I'll make him kneel and apologize at the graves of my master and brothers," Master Chengde concluded, his voice choked with emotion.