Chapter 170

Midnight, rain began tapping on the window.

The winter rain, as cold as ice, disrupted Jiang Luo's slumber. Lazily stretching on his bed, his long hair brushed against his neck, the young man's gracefully elongated figure revealed itself.

Awakening parched from his nap, Jiang Luo got up, went to the living room, and poured himself a glass of water. The ginseng doll also hung from him, groggily saying, "Dad, I'm a bit dehydrated too."

This was the first winter that the ginseng spirit had experienced in the human world, the first time it felt the power of central heating. While central heating was great, it had a tendency to dry things out. Jiang Luo placed a glass of water on the table for it and sat nearby, slowly sipping his own.

The water lingered briefly on his lips before smoothly gliding down his throat. The living room table remained untouched, with leftover cold dishes emitting a chilly aura, oil congealed in one spot. After finishing the glass, the ginseng doll perked up a bit, prodding Jiang Luo's finger with its tendrils, using an airy voice, "Dad, there's someone outside."

Jiang Luo glanced lazily towards the door, rising casually. "Stay here."

Approaching the door, he absentmindedly grasped the artistic knife left on the shoe cabinet. Peering through the peephole, the outside was pitch black, nothing discernible. But if the ginseng doll said there was someone, then there certainly was. Jiang Luo slowly gripped the doorknob and pushed the door open.

The corridor lights suddenly brightened.

Seated against the wall outside, a drenched figure came into view. The ground around this person was soaked from the water on their body; they huddled, head buried, seemingly oblivious to how long they'd been sitting there. After Jiang Luo opened the door, it took several seconds before the person sluggishly lifted their head, revealing a familiar face.

Jiang Luo frowned, sheathing the artistic knife, "Qi Ye?"

Qi Ye, with a pallid complexion, lips tinged purple from the cold, looked at Jiang Luo with vacant eyes. After a moment of unfocused gaze, his trembling lips uttered, "...Jiang Luo."

His nasal voice thick, he pleaded softly, "Can you let me see Chi You?"

*

No one knew how Qi Ye found his way here or what had happened.

Jiang Luo brought him inside and summoned others. Everyone was startled by Qi Ye's condition; his hair was frozen into ice crystals, and if this continued, he might freeze to death. While others busied themselves taking care of Qi Ye, Jiang Luo stood by the guest room door, watching.

Out of the blue, he asked, "Why do you want to see Chi You?"

Qi Ye kept his head lowered as others dried his hair, his fingers visibly trembling beyond control. After a prolonged silence, he shook his head silently.

Jiang Luo crossed his arms, leaning against the door frame. Squinting, he scrutinized Qi Ye's expression, sensing that Qi Ye seemed traumatized, as if his entire worldview had collapsed.

Without pressing further, Jiang Luo stated, "We'll talk after the trial."

Qi Ye's condition remained off throughout the day, persisting until just before the trial. He hadn't spoken a word or taken a sip of water. As Jiang Luo and the others prepared to leave for the joint hearing at Xuan Ling, Qi Ye unexpectedly requested to accompany them.

Ge Zhu couldn't bear it and said, "We're going to court against your father; you'd better not come."

Qi Ye's voice was hoarse, "Take me with you."