Chapter 16

In this scene, Jiang Luo only felt a throbbing pain in his brain.

He was cursing under his breath, knife in hand, tirelessly slicing through webs in the shadows, his eyes unblinkingly fixed on the Spider-Man's every move, his entire nervous system overtaken by a clamorous sense of crisis.

Resurrection was impossible; even the mightiest only had one life. Intuition told Jiang Luo that the Spider-Man had already become Chi You's puppet.

—Or was possessed by Chi You.

Either possibility was fucking terrible.

Chi You was a million times more dangerous than the Spider-Man. Just a month ago, Jiang Luo had been tormenting Chi You, and now, the tables had turned; he was in Chi You's clutches.

Jiang Luo couldn't help but curse, "Shit."

His hands moved faster, as the Spider-Man slowly crawled towards him. Eight spider legs covered in a layer of black and yellow fur looked horrifying, yet the Spider-Man moved with an elegance of its own.

Every step it took was like walking on the edge of a razor, forcing others into a state of terror, constantly confronting death emanating from it.

Qi Ye muttered beside him, "Alive, how's it alive? Wasn't it dead? How is it alive now?"

Jiang Luo thought to himself, humans are indeed repeat machines.

He had no time to ponder the time-wasting questions Qi Ye had, as Jiang Luo struggled to free himself from the webs, with sweat beading on his forehead.

Blood from the Spider-Man fell onto the web, slowly pulling into a thick, sticky thread dripping down. Jiang Luo managed to free his right arm before the Spider-Man got close to him, but just as he was about to rise, a new strand of web fell from the sky, pressing him back down.

Jiang Luo: "…" His eyes burned with fire as he stared at the Spider-Man.

Jiang Luo could almost imagine what twisted thoughts Chi You had. He must have seen Jiang Luo's slight movements to escape but wickedly chose not to stop him until Jiang Luo harbored hope of success, only to crush it completely.

That's exactly what Chi You would do.

Under Jiang Luo's furious gaze, the Spider-Man, with bloodied hands, touched Jiang Luo's face. The blood's stench was foul and sticky. Jiang Luo tried to turn his face away, his jaw clenched tightly.

The greenish blood was deliberately smeared on his face and neck. The black-haired young man tried to dodge, but the more he avoided, the more forcefully that stinking hand pressed. Eventually, Jiang Luo gave up, his expression dark, staring straight at the Spider-Man, letting it do as it pleased on him.

He already knew why the ghoul was manipulating Spider-Man.

It was specifically to disgust him.

Qi Ye shouted from the side, "Spider-Man, if you have the guts, come at me!"

A strand of web descended from the sky, wrapping Qi Ye up tightly like a silkworm cocoon.

Jiang Luo was astonished.

He stared at Spider-Man, realizing that Chi You, whom he had seriously injured a month ago, had recovered in such a short period of time. Why did he feel that death not only hadn't weakened Chi You's power but seemed to have freed him from some constraints, actually boosting his strength?

Blood was increasingly smeared over Jiang Luo's originally clean and handsome face and neck, now covered in greenish fluid like a canvas. He clenched his mouth shut, Spider-Man's gaze moved down to Jiang Luo's tightly closed lips, a flicker of interest showing in those bottomless dark eyes.