Chapter 57

The selection show had to be public-facing, and one slip could expose the existence of the metaphysical community. Dean Xu personally gathered the nine from the metaphysics class, emphasizing the mission's essence: keep everything low-key and cautious.

"We've communicated with the show's producers. The chief director will have the staff minimize your screen time, skip over your performances, and generally keep a low profile. Do not let the other contestants discover your true identities," Dean Xu reiterated two or three times. "The production team will give you as much freedom as they can. Only a few people within the team know your identities. If you have any issues, go to these people."

Jiang Luo took the list and saw the names of the program's key personnel.

In essence, their role was to be invisible, solve paranormal incidents, and then leave the show without a trace.

Jiang Luo glanced at the name of the variety show, "Next Stop, Idol."

The name seemed familiar.

After a moment of thought, he realized it was the talent show Bai Qiu had been keen on recommending to him.

Two months prior, disguised as Brother Qiao, he and Chi You had helped the A-list actress Bai Qiu break a union spell cast by her manager. Bai Qiu exchanged contact information with Jiang Luo afterward, persistently encouraging him to enter the entertainment industry and sign with her studio. She even outlined a debut plan for him, with "Next Stop, Idol" as the first step.

Jiang Luo had consistently refused, but, ironically, the variety show now reappeared before him.

Thinking of Bai Qiu reminded him of her manager. Jiang Luo took out his phone and searched for follow-up news.

Bai Qiu acted swiftly. A week after awakening from the spell, her manager He Meng was sent to prison on numerous charges, the most serious being drug use and blackmailing Bai Qiu.

Each charge was severe enough to ensure He Meng would spend a long time behind bars.

Jiang Luo was thoroughly impressed, acknowledging that women could be ruthlessly decisive.

"Next Stop, Idol" was a boy band selection show. Zhuo Zhongqiu, feeling fortunate, stood next to the Dean and gleefully asked, "So, who will go?"

Dean Xu stroked his white beard, "You've hit the nail on the head."

For a talent show, appearance was key.

Dean Xu looked over his students, pondering, "All of you are good-looking, how do we choose?"

The school's missions could accumulate credits for graduation, rewards, or even money. The Six Great Families also selected high-credit students as their direct disciples, making each mission a mix of crisis and opportunity.

Unable to decide, Dean Xu proposed, "Let's have a vote."

When the results came in, Jiang Luo was ranked first, followed by Qi Ye and Lu Youyi. The Dean finalized their participation, instructing, "Someone will pick you up the day after tomorrow to go to the production team. Meet at the school at eight in the morning. Alright, you're dismissed now."

Stepping out of the Dean's office, Jiang Luo ominously asked, "Who voted for me?"

Eight hands shot up unanimously.

Wen Renlian flicked his curly hair, smiling, "Your face is a crime against heaven if it doesn't appear on a show. As for me, I'm accustomed to dressing as a woman, so that's a no-go. Ge Zhu is a Taoist priest, making him unsuitable. Kuang Zheng is too bulky, also not a good fit. Ye Xun always needs to carry Xiao Fen, and I doubt the show would allow a doll. As for Seylor,"