Chapter 46

Jiang Luo unveiled the divine robe he had pilfered, revealing a staff that once rested in the hands of the divinity within its folds.

He let out a whistle, draping the black robe over himself.

The brim of the hat fell, concealing his brows and eyes, and finally, the corners of his lips, which were curled up in a smirk.

*

Half an hour had passed.

Hua Li was still sniffing the air.

Humans normally carry a unique scent of the living, but in this half-hour, his keen nose detected a mottled scent.

The presence of two humans gradually faded, as if obscured, were they dead, or had they left the cave?

Hua Li walked slowly through the cave, his mood growing increasingly irritable.

There was another possibility, yet he hadn't even considered it, dismissing it out of his mind.

The blood of a female scorpion tail is rich in Yin energy, capable of temporarily masking the scent of life on humans.

However, all the cave's female scorpion tails had been taken to fortify their master's soul and guard the Yin, to make the master's fragmented spirit more solid and better merge with the body of the divine statue.

Where else can humans find the blood of a female scorpion with a poisonous tail?

Hua Li had just thought this when he sensed someone approaching from behind. On alert, he instantly turned around to see a figure in a black robe, holding a cane, with the scent of a female scorpion with a poisonous tail still lingering.

Hua Li immediately bowed respectfully, "Master."

"Hmm," the master's tone was his usual indifferent, his simple words hiding a chilling sense of danger, "Hua Li, you haven't found the idol yet."

The master spoke in a slightly lowered voice, a detail Hua Li should have noticed, but at that moment, he was so frightened by the content of his master's words that he stiffened up, clenched his fists, and replied in a low voice, "Yes."

The master seemed to smile briefly before continuing at his own pace, "Nor have you found the human you were looking for."

Hua Li: "…Yes."

Underneath the black robe, Jiang Luo imitated Chi You's tone. He gently gripped the cane, his long fingers wrapped in black cloth caressing the top of the cane, every movement filled with a profound significance that was daunting to behold. He said with a hint of boredom, "Looks like I'll have to clean up the mess again."

"I'm sorry, master," Hua Li replied eagerly, "I don't know how that human can hide so well, her scent has completely vanished—"

Before he could finish, Jiang Luo raised a finger to his lips beneath the brim of his hat, "Shh."

Hua Li fell silent, sweat sliding down his temples.

"Let's go, I'll take you to find the idol," Jiang Luo said even more casually, "After seeing the idol, Hua Li, I hope you can show me the progress you've made over these years."

Hua Li's brow twitched, and he quickly followed Jiang Luo, "I will, Master."

He silently made a decision: regardless of whether the sacrifice to the idol was successful or not, he would not let the Master intervene; he would subdue the idol himself.

Jiang Luo led Hua Li towards the idol without any sign of panic.

He had used a golden rune from the Yin-Yang ring transformed into a rat to lure the idol away. The rat had not been recalled, and at this moment, it was leading the idol in their direction.