C62

Following the Gu Langu and others’ convoy, Dong Shijun’s convoy, after the third encounter with numerous snowmen on the ground, finally grew somewhat composed. They no longer approached the snowmen with curiosity and caution to dismantle them for examination. After all, who could have imagined that on the harsh battlefield of Cang Zhan Star, there would be individuals with such leisure to lead the entire convoy in collectively building snowmen.

“Dong-ge, do you think this is a sign of madness?” Scar-faced Man stood beside the snowmen, his speechless gaze fixed upon the snowmen scattered around. He had grown tired of pushing them over or inspecting them to uncover any hidden secrets.

Dong Shijun also found himself unusually at a loss for an explanation. He couldn’t fathom why the convoy ahead had chosen to build these snowmen.

During better weather conditions, this might have been overlooked, but with the recent intensification of snowstorms, it was utterly irrational to see so many people building snowmen in such weather. One could hardly make sense of it! If they had the energy, they might as well focus on making better progress, rather than squandering time on such meaningless endeavors.

“Perhaps they’re just well-fed and bored,” Huang Dao offered an answer himself, not expecting a response. His thoughts wandered back to the first time they had come across the snowmen. The sight of hundreds of uniquely shaped snow figures was something he had never witnessed before – it was eerie yet astonishing.

“Maybe,” Dong Shijun responded casually, unable to come up with a better explanation.

Little did they know, this answer was closer to the truth than they realized.

Due to the influence of Shu Shuishui, the appearance of the three-base convoy had undergone a transformation. With their lives assured, life had naturally become more pleasant, and they no longer had to worry about when their next meal would come. In such circumstances, building snowmen became a form of leisure and entertainment. Perhaps on Cang Zhan Star, no other group possessed such leisure.

Dong Shijun’s convoy still trailed far behind. Although Gu Langu and his team had noticed, they had no intention of seeking trouble, and the two convoys continued their journey without incident.

Occasionally, they encountered situations similar to the one in the small town before. On such occasions, the two convoys would tacitly keep to their own areas, avoiding interference with each other.

However, Dong Shijun soon realized that this method of following the other convoy was disadvantaging them. As the days passed, his convoy could only smell the aroma of others enjoying meat while they had to ration even their purple tree cakes. While others had the energy to collectively build snowmen or engage in snowball fights, they could only allocate their scarce resources to survival. When others were chasing after mutated creatures, they were the ones being chased.

The growing disparity became increasingly evident, especially when they peered through binoculars and saw the lush greenery within the other convoy’s vehicles. Few could maintain their composure in the face of such a contrast. They were all refugees from Cang Zhan Star, yet the gulf between them was staggering.

Under various stimuli, some began to grow restless, but could they fight? No. Although Dong Shijun’s convoy outnumbered the other side nearly two to one, the opposing convoy’s morale was overwhelming, and they had long discovered Gu Langu’s presence within Dong Shijun’s convoy. Any thoughts of conflict seemed futile.

Dong Shijun even speculated that if a battle were to erupt, his convoy members might eagerly surrender and become captives of the opposing convoy. For now, Dong Shijun could only hope to reach their destination quickly; the advantage of following Gu Langu’s convoy was the increased level of safety it afforded.