C65

Facing Shu Shuishui’s enthusiastic greeting, a few large gray rats halted their charge and gathered together, chirping and discussing among themselves.

Though their bodies had mutated, they still couldn’t speak. However, that didn’t stop them from understanding Shu Shuishui’s greeting. This was the first time encountering such a situation.

After a lively debate amongst the rats, it seemed that there was no final conclusion. Right in the midst of their fervent arguments, a small, warm, brown-furred head squeezed in from behind.

Distinct from their gray surroundings, the curious newcomer’s head peered around. “Hello.”

The rats: “…”

Faced with the enthusiastic greeting from a seemingly similar being, they couldn’t maintain their imposing demeanor. The group of rats instinctively dispersed a bit to make way for the warm-brown newcomer.

In the end, the largest gray rat stepped forward and chirped a series of sounds.

Amidst a crowd of mutated giant rats, Shu Shuishui remained composed, occasionally nodding his small head or responding with a few words.

Quickly following was Gu Langu: “…”

Never before had he felt so acutely that Shu Shuishui’s true nature was that of a mouse.

A few minutes later, the gray rats swiftly departed, coming and going in haste.

“Don’t worry, Gu Gu. It’s alright. We’ve reached an agreement. We’ll coexist in the valley from now on, not interfering with each other. In case of special circumstances, we can help each other. They said they’d been living in the valley for seven to eight years. Aside from them, there are no other mutated creatures here. It’s very safe,” Shu Shuishui earnestly explained to Gu Langu.

Gu Langu nodded. “Shui Shui is amazing!”

Shu Shuishui waved his small paw. “This is just my native language. I know many foreign languages too. By the way, how about I sing a foreign song for you, Gu Gu? I’ll sing the simplest one!”

Suddenly, Gu Langu had a somewhat bad premonition. Every time Shu Shuishui sang, there was a contagious, brainwashing quality to it. It was unclear if it was due to the song itself or because he was a mouse.

As expected, not long after, Shu Shuishui’s song echoed through the valley. “ABCDEFG~HIJKLMN~~OPQ……”

Gu Langu: “…”

Fortunately, Shu Shuishui’s brainwashing moment didn’t last too long. After about half an hour, they finally explored the entire valley, confirming its safety. They were now preparing to head back.

Of course, before their return journey, the honest little dormouse and Gu Langu built snowmen and had a snowball fight. Considering the time, they didn’t play for too long. However, both Gu Langu and Shu Shuishui were very satisfied.

On the way back up the mountain, Shu Shuishui naturally sat on Gu Langu’s shoulder, pointing to the distant forest covered in white snow. “The rats live over there. It said that the forest is very deep. They came out today to find food. The freezing season still has some time left, so they’re collecting whatever food they can. And they have many little ones to feed. Supporting a family as a rat is not easy.”

“However, even though they are rats, furry and all, you’re not allowed to raise them, Gu Gu. You can only have me as your mouse. If you ever come across other rats outside, you must tell me. I won’t be clingy. I can go on a trip whenever you want,” Shu Shuishui added seriously.