C66

The unspoken “me too” from Yu Jin got stuck, held in place by an unexpected barrier. Despite the rare hint of a twinkle in Yu Jin’s eye, he ultimately couldn’t resist the allure of food, especially with Xie Feng leading the charge. “Then count me in too, following Shui Shui.”

As expected, the moment the words left his mouth, Gu Langu’s gaze shifted over. Though it remained as emotionless as ever, Yu Jin couldn’t help but feel a looming sense of unease.

Thankfully, Shu Shuishui immediately interjected, redirecting Gu Langu’s attention. Otherwise, Yu Jin wasn’t sure if he could withstand the pressure and stick to his initial decision.

Perched on Gu Langu’s shoulder, Shu Shuishui clapped its little paws in excitement. “Great! It’s just that there’s nothing there; we might need to make things ourselves.”

Nan Ge also recalled the map from that time. “I remember it being a mountain range, uninhabited around it. Is it really safe? Could there be any danger?”

“No immediate danger. There’s only a nest of rats in the mountains, rats even bigger than cats, about this big,” Shu Shuishui made a circle with its small arm, trying to show the size.

Everyone else exchanged glances, appearing unimpressed; it didn’t seem that big, maybe just about the size of two Shu Shuishuis.

Unaware of the amused looks, Shu Shuishui continued, “But I’ve already communicated with them. We can coexist peacefully. The valley is surrounded on three sides by mountains and the fourth by water, offering great protection from wind and snow. I’ve checked the frozen lake with Gu Gu; there are fish inside.” As Shu Shuishui said this, its little ears twitched.

“Fish?” Nan Ge’s eyes lit up.

Gu Langu remained silent.

Shu Shuishui nodded its little head. “Yes, and the lake isn’t small. There are also plenty of trees near the valley. Three perilous peaks serve as natural barriers, isolating us from most of the mutant creatures. Moreover, if we move in, as long as we provide the rats with some food, they might take care of patrolling and guarding duties. No movement will escape our eyes and ears.”

No one would doubt the vigilance of rodents, especially post-mutation rats. Their senses of hearing, vision, and smell had undergone remarkable leaps, not to mention they were also nocturnal creatures. If they could indeed manage patrol and guard duties as Shu Shuishui claimed, the safety of the valley wouldn’t be a concern anymore. This temptation was truly irresistible.

In an instant, Nan Ge’s interest was piqued too. What kind of valley could it be that Shu Shuishui was talking about? “How big is the valley Shui Shui mentioned?”

Gu Langu remained expressionless. “Not very big.”

However, Shu Shuishui vigorously shook its head. “Gu Gu is wrong; it’s clearly quite big.”

Gu Langu continued to struggle. “Hmm, it is indeed quite big compared to Shui Shui.”

This time, Shu Shuishui nodded its little head. “Yes, yes, it’s roughly a bit larger than this small town. For me, it’s really big.”

Everyone else exchanged glances; things were clear now.

For the first time, Gu Langu felt like he lacked a bit of telepathic connection with the mouse.

Nan Ge pondered for a moment and once again sought Shu Shuishui’s opinion. “Shui Shui, do you think we could safely spend the winter in the valley if we move our entire base there?”

With its head tilted and ears twitching, Shu Shuishui earnestly contemplated for a moment. “I can only guarantee that if those rats can survive the winter, then we can too. If it’s really not possible, I can go borrow some food from the rats and return it to them next summer.”