C70

The basin Shu Shuishui was sitting in actually resembled a shallow fruit plate. Sitting inside it, he had an unobstructed view. The fishing rod used by the dormouse was also a miniature version, and the bait on it was probably only appealing to small fish and shrimp. Shu Shuishui wasn’t too greedy, after all, if the fish were too large, it would be unclear whether it was a dormouse fishing or a fish trying to slip away.

On the shallow fruit plate lay a ceramic cup with four or five small silver fish, which were Shu Shuishui’s previous catches.

By lunchtime, Shu Shuishui had managed to catch about half a cup of small fish. In addition to this, the fruit plate also held two bright red crayfish and a tightly bound crab. Despite the small size of the shallow fruit plate, the harvest seemed quite abundant.

As Shu Shuishui leisurely paddled back to the shore using a long-handled spoon as an oar, Gu Langu picked up the plate along with the dormouse, including the fish, shrimp, and crab.

Shu Shuishui sat peacefully on the fruit plate, pointing at the tightly bound crab. “This one is for Gu Gu to eat. It was quite fierce and tried to pick a fight with me. These two crayfish are spicy and delicious! The small silver fish just need a quick searing, I’ll go scale them and handle the innards.”

With that said, the little dormouse stood up and leaned over the edge of the cup, peering at the half-cup of fish he had caught.

Yu Jin, who was preparing lunch, saw Gu Langu returning with Shu Shuishui and couldn’t help but rub his hands together. “How’s your fishing going, Shui Shui?”

Shu Shuishui proudly patted the cup next to him. “Caught about half a cup’s worth!”

Yu Jin: ???

Yu Jin had never heard of fish being measured by the cup before, so he approached curiously. When he saw the half-cup of fish that Shu Shuishui had caught, he felt a bit disappointed. It seemed like his hope of getting a piece of fish meat was shattered – it wasn’t even enough to fill a gap between his teeth.

However, Shu Shuishui was quite generous. “Do you want to eat, Mao Jin? I’ll share one with you later. Should I steam it for you, deep-fry it, or braise it?”

Yu Jin looked at the small fish, which were only about four to five centimeters long and felt conflicted. If he agreed, he knew he would probably be as persistent as with the grasshoppers, but giving up was also hard to accept. In the end, Yu Jin gritted his teeth. “I’ll have it steamed!”

Shu Shuishui nodded his tiny head. “That works well, then it can be cooked in the same pot as the crab.” Shu Shuishui reached out and patted the crab. “You have company now.”

The crab: …

Gu Langu placed the fruit plate along with Shu Shuishui on a flat rock. Shu Shuishui hopped off with a plop and then scurried around, asking Nan Ge, Nan Fang, and Xie Feng what flavor of fish they preferred.

Needless to say, the three of them were all overjoyed, immersed in the delightful fantasy of having fish for lunch. Out of the mindset of sharing happiness and hardship, Yu Jin also didn’t remind the others about the origin of Shu Shuishui’s caught fish.

So, after a busy morning, when Nan Ge and his companions returned to the campfire eagerly, ready to enjoy the delicious fish, they each received a “small fish” of their chosen flavor!

Indeed, it was a fish, and it was exquisitely prepared. Even though it was small, it had been properly cleaned, including removing the gills, scales, and innards. This attention to detail was apparent, but the problem was that the fish was truly bite-sized!