Chapter 11

Holding the hands of the two children, Tohsaka Aoi sat in the back seat of a car, while Matou Kariya sat in the driver's seat and started the engine.

The night was enchanting.

A red Honda Accord was driving on the national highway. It went from Shinto to Miyama.

"Kariya, thank you very much for your help this time. When I heard about Sakura running away from home, you even rushed back from out of town to help me." Tohsaka Aoi, holding the two children who were now asleep, thanked Kariya, who was holding the steering wheel.

"Ah... don't mention it, Aoi. I was also very worried when Sakura went missing," Kariya tightened his grip on the steering wheel.

"Speaking of... speaking of it, has that Tokiomi guy summoned his Servant and participated in the Holy Grail War already?" Kariya changed the subject and asked.

Tohsaka Aoi pursed her lips. "Kariya, even though you've left the magecraft world, you're still a member of the Matou family."

"Ah... ah... I naturally know that, Aoi. Sorry, please don't mind this matter." Kariya tightened his grip on the steering wheel.

"Speaking of which, what have you been doing lately?" Aoi asked, stroking Sakura's hair.

"Well, I'm working at a light novel publishing company... Oh, by the way, Aoi, since Sakura has already been found, I'll be leaving in a couple of days. Some of the authors under my management have missed their deadlines for a week now, so I need to go chase them up."

"Is that so?" Aoi hesitated for a long time, unable to voice the request in her heart. As a member of the Tohsaka family, she knew she should clearly draw a line with the Matou family. Despite this, Kariya, a member of the Matou family, had already helped her more than once. Aoi didn't want to take advantage of the situation by asking for another favor, especially now that Kariya was busy with work.

"What is it, Aoi?" Kariya asked, growing anxious as Aoi remained silent for so long. He knew that he couldn't turn back now that he was on the highway, and the thought of causing a traffic accident or harming the woman he deeply loved filled him with dread. He knew that he would suffer for the rest of his life if anything happened to Aoi.

"It's nothing," Aoi said softly. "By the way, Kariya, is it hard working at the publishing company?"

Aoi's voice was always so gentle, Kariya thought to himself.

"It's okay, I guess," Kariya said with a sigh. "It's just that these authors are so lazy. We have a plan in place that allows them to complete their work while still having free time to play, but they always end up rushing to finish their manuscripts at the end of the month because they're so lazy. Some of them even run away and don't turn in any manuscripts at all, so we editors have to go catch them personally. A few of them don't even write anything, and we have to hold a knife to their necks to force them..." Kariya unburdened himself, venting the frustrations of his work to Aoi.

"Oh, that must be really hard," Aoi said with a sympathetic smile.

Kariya felt his heart lighten and his energy return at Aoi's words. However, he still didn't hear the words he wanted to hear the most. She knew he would be leaving in a couple of days... but maybe that was for the best?

Kariya asked himself this in his heart as he wrestled with his feelings. He loved his childhood friend deeply, but couldn't bring himself to confess his love and was eventually left behind when Aoi married Tohsaka Tokiomi. He would never be willing to bring the woman he loved deeply into the dirty, filthy Matou family.

"As long as I can see Aoi happy, that's enough," Kariya repeatedly told himself in his heart. He knew that his own happiness was secondary as long as he could see the woman he loved happy and content.