Chapter 13

The Tohsaka estate stands atop a high hill in the mountain town of Miyama, and in its underground lies the workshop of Tohsaka Tokiomi. Inside the workshop is a device resembling a Y-shaped pendulum. Unlike traditional scientific equipment, the pendulum swing is adorned with magic jewels passed down in the Tohsaka family, as well as ink soaked in jewels along the hanging rope. The stones and ink play the role of a fax machine.

The stone paired with the jewels on this pendulum has already been given in advance to the spy prepared by the Tohsaka family for the Holy Grail War. When this stone is placed in the pen holder and writing begins, the resonating jewel begins to shake and the ink drops precisely reproduce the writing on the rolling paper below, reflecting the text written in the distance. This is the operating principle of this device.

Now the magical stone pendulum is resonating with the stone in London on the opposite side of the earth. The apparently irregular, back-and-forth motion reproduces the reporter's strokes correctly. Tokiomi, who discovered the spy report, picked up the paper and read the written text word for word.

"Every time I see this thing, it feels incredible."

"Heh, you'd think a fax machine would be more convenient. But with this, you don't need electricity or worry about breakdowns, and you don't have to worry about leaks at all. You don't need to rely on any new technology, we magicians have tools that are just as convenient and have been in use for a long time," Tohsaka Tokiomi said.

To Kirei, the fax machine that anyone can use is much more convenient, but the premise of this convenience, "that anyone can use it," is certainly not within Tokiomi's consideration. In his view, it is natural for the aristocracy to have more technology and knowledge than the common people... Tokiomi, who still holds this ancient view in this era, is truly a "classic magus" through and through.

"The latest report from 'Clock Tower.' The child prodigy Lord El-Melloi has summoned a Servant using a new Holy Relic and is on his way."

"It's not just that, Einzbern has also boarded the plane. It's just that the sudden appearance of Caster, who completed the seven Servants caused the Holy Grail to activate nearly a year earlier than usual. This is not normal."

"It just means that the Holy Grail system has enough magical energy stored to start the ceremony, so the Holy Grail will gather the seven people regardless of the time. The one who was brought in just to make up the numbers is just a small matter, nothing to be afraid of."

Tokiomi is a uniquely optimistic individual and Kirei has been working closely with him for over two years. As such, Kirei has a deep understanding of Tokiomi's habits and tendencies. While Tokiomi is very careful and meticulous in planning, he can be careless during the execution phase, often leaving certain details entirely in Kirei's hands. Despite this, Kirei has become accustomed to this dynamic.

"Take care. Kirei, did anyone see you when you entered my house? Remember that we are still publicly seen as being in a hostile relationship."

According to Tohsaka Tokiomi's arrangements, they deliberately released the twisted facts.

For nearly two years, Kirei was selected by the Holy Grail, but as per Tokiomi's wishes, he carefully kept the brand on his right hand hidden until this month. He publicly revealed that he had received the command spells and pretended to be a fellow competitor for the Holy Grail, breaking with Tokiomi.

"Please don't worry, there are no servants or magical devices that are monitoring this house, visible or invisible. This..."

"I can guarantee." As a third voice spoke, a black shadow appeared next to Kirei, revealing a twisted figure that seemed to appear and disappear.