Chapter 182

Camelot's army composition is modeled after that of the Roman Empire, using cohorts as the fundamental tactical unit and organized into legions. A typical Roman legion consisted of 4,500 to 6,000 soldiers.

Despite Shirou's inclusion of bandits, he still couldn't assemble a legion of Roman Empire proportions, so he created a framework and gradually added to it.

He disbanded the bandits and reorganized them into different types of units, assigning them to Gawain and other leaders for training. As a result, the existing soldiers were mostly promoted by at least one rank and began to take on leadership roles.

He had a lot on his plate, with numerous projects demanding his attention, so he made the decision to use what resources he had and forego overhauling Camelot's rank system. Instead, he implemented a medal and honor incentive program.

The necessary materials for producing the medals had already been sent to the blacksmith, and once the medals were ready, the soldiers would be promoted accordingly.

Alongside training and farming, it was crucial for the troops to learn about the spirit, making it a crucial aspect of their daily routine.

He placed great emphasis on nurturing the spirit of his army. He understood that, aside from superior equipment and skills, a military unit requires a sense of purpose and belief. Without it, even the best-equipped unit is akin to a lamb that can easily be demoralized.

On the other hand, a unit with a strong sense of spirit and belief is a formidable force that sees death as a mere return and has unwavering morale that's difficult to break. Such a unit is easier to manage and maintain military discipline, making it an invaluable asset.

To bolster the spirit of his troops, he instructed Gawain, Tristan, and other leaders to lead the soldiers in reading and worshiping their beliefs every night. In addition, he implemented a system of monthly rewards for soldiers who adhered to their faith and performed well, while those who failed to do so were subjected to punishment.

When Gawain asked about which faith they should worship, Shirou was prepared. He had previously practiced this in the "City of Sin". The most fundamental requirement was not being able to burn, kill, and loot. However, he found that the language used to express these principles was too lengthy, lacked concision, and did not inspire a strong sense of will. So, he condensed the beliefs he wanted his soldiers to uphold into eight concise principles: Love for country, compassion, honor, bravery, sacrifice, humility, justice, and honesty.

These eight principles would govern all their actions. Gawain and others were impressed by Shirou's teachings, and what made it more significant was that they believed that these principles were not only applicable to soldiers but also to knights!

Prior to the introduction of these eight principles, Gawain and others had difficulty in discerning whether a knight was truly noble or not. They could only base their judgments on their intuition and accomplishments to determine a knight's worthiness of praise.

However, with the implementation of these eight principles, they now had a clear framework for evaluating knights. Essentially, these principles served as the standard for assessing knights and the codes of conduct for both soldiers and knights.

"Truly, you are a wise and great king," exclaimed Tristan, brimming with admiration. "I would love to play a song for you," he added, pulling out his harp.

Shirou smiled, "How about we play a piece together? Music has a soothing effect on the mind, and I've been feeling tired lately. I could use some relaxation for my spirit."

Upon hearing this, Tristan put away his harp and never mentioned playing again.

These eight principles were passed down, and every night, the sound of soldiers reciting them from their camp could be heard. Over time, the people in the vicinity also began to recite them, internalizing the principles as their own.