Chapter 98

A mother was sobbing in sorrow.

The girl approached her and asked, "What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

The mother replied through her tears, "My children have betrayed me. They threw me into this desolate and hellish pit and won't let me live or die. They've condemned me to an eternal existence in this lonely and frozen hell."

"Are you angry at your children?"

"I despise them with every fiber of my being," the mother responded bitterly. "But at the same time, I love them more than anything in this world."

The girl nodded sympathetically, "Such a complex emotion... But I understand how you feel."

The mother asked, "How can you understand?"

"My own parents betrayed me. They cast me into a worm-infested abyss and left me to die. I came close to losing my life."

"How could any parents be so cruel? Do you hold any anger towards them?"

The girl answered, "Yes, I hate them. I hate them deeply. But at the same time, I love them. And eventually, my hatred dissipates."

"Why?" The mother pressed.

"I don't know, I can't explain it, and I don't fully understand my own emotions. But I have stopped fearing abandonment and betrayal."

"Why?" the mother asked, with a hint of curiosity in her voice.

"My brother and I made a pinky promise," the girl replied, "No matter what happens, he would always protect me. I'm not scared or worried anymore, because my brother is my hero."

The mother wrapped the girl in a warm embrace, "You're such a pitiable yet strong child. It could be fate that brought you to me today. If I promise to never betray or abandon you, will you become my child?"

The girl gazed up at the mother with determination in her eyes, "And if I promise to never betray or abandon you as well, will you become my mother?"

"Of course," the mother replied without hesitation.

Thus, the child who was betrayed by her mother, and the mother who was betrayed by her child, formed a bond through Imaginary Numbers. And at some unknown point in time and place, a Magus who held sway over Imaginary Numbers appeared.

...

At Ryuudou Temple, Shirou had stayed up all night, gazing at Arcueid. "Are you feeling any better now, Arcueid? Can we talk?"

But Arcueid's eyes gleamed with a thirst for blood. "Your deceit is pointless now, Roa!"

He shook his head. "You're letting anger cloud your judgment."

As she raised her hand to unleash her claws upon him, two menacing hands appeared behind Shirou and deflected the incoming attack.

She threw off the blanket and charged at Shirou, forcing him to retreat toward the Enlightened One. "Come out and face me one-on-one!" she challenged, her voice ringing with fury.

"I know I can't defeat you, so why should I face you alone?" Shirou replied, smiling calmly. He spoke with confidence, free of any nervousness or self-deprecation.

Arcueid ground her teeth for a moment before eventually calming down and settling back onto the ground. "You're really despicable for hiding behind others!"

With a smile, he commented, "My Shisho says the same thing. So don't underestimate me. I can use all sorts of sneaky tricks, whether it's throwing sand, backstabbing, or kidney shots."