Chapter 191

It has been more than a year since Shirou ascended to the throne as king. Throughout this time, he has faced numerous challenges and experienced a great deal. One of the toughest trials he faced was a sudden cold wave that descended upon his lands and froze all of his crops. This disaster left him with no choice but to seek help from the people of neighboring territories and borrow food from them.

Thankfully, Lancelot proved to be a valuable asset during this difficult time. He traveled to Europe with tin and copper to barter for food, and he succeeded admirably in his mission. Lancelot was able to procure a significant amount of food from both the Visigothic Kingdom and the Slavs, which provided crucial sustenance for Shirou and his people.

After surviving the cold wave disaster, Shirou believed that their fortunes would turn for the better. Unfortunately, the summer that followed was unusually hot and humid, and a plague broke out.

Recalling the traumatic experience of the cold wave, Shirou took steps to improve the sanitation of the city and the physical fitness of its inhabitants. Fortunately, due to the strength of humans during the end of the Age of the Gods, there were no significant human casualties. However, the plague took a heavy toll on livestock, leading to widespread deaths.

He acted quickly by isolating and burning the infected livestock and alerting other lords and kings to prevent further spread. Despite these efforts, many animals still perished, including almost half of the original 700 horses, making it difficult to form cavalry and cultivate the land.

Realizing the severity of the situation, he made the difficult decision to abandon the idea of using horses for cavalry and instead loaned them to the villages under his jurisdiction for horse plowing. He also focused on raising more livestock and worked to shift the agricultural model to a combination of farming and animal husbandry.

This region was well-suited for agricultural development in Britain due to its temperate maritime climate, which provided ideal conditions for the growth of juicy grass.

However, the extreme cold wave in winter and the abnormally hot and humid summer made he realize that the region was experiencing a little ice age!

The extreme weather patterns experienced during winter and summer were a clear manifestation of the little ice age, and Shirou couldn't help but feel a sense of fear creeping up on him. He was already treading on thin ice with his development plans, and the arrival of this little ice age - an ancient enemy of nations - seemed to be a sign that heaven itself was conspiring against him.

He was consumed with worry and unable to rest. Every time he closed his eyes, terrifying images flooded his mind, jolting him awake. He would spend hours contemplating ways to overcome the crisis, carefully managing the country and taking proactive steps to prevent Camelot from suffering heavy casualties.

He also shared his solutions with other lords to ensure that they too were equipped to handle the challenges brought about by the little ice age.

Shirou's modern perspective and wisdom allowed him to become more skilled at dealing with the numerous issues that arose during the little ice age. As a result, his work efficiency increased significantly. However, the workload was still overwhelming, leaving him exhausted and drained.

The constant strain on his mind and body left him with a fragile spirit, and eventually, he was dragged into the afterlife.

To his surprise, Shirou found himself in the Land of Shadows, and was greeted by his former teacher, Scathach, who had become the gatekeeper of this realm.

In this strange and bewildering world, he unexpectedly encountered an acquaintance whom he had always found reliable. His heart, usually as steady as a rock, was instantly shattered, and he longed to pour out his grievances to his shisho. However, to his dismay, she did not even recognize him.