Chapter 129

The night sky was pitch black, with a crescent moon hanging alone in the air, casting a faint and chilly moonlight upon the land. Within a dark forest, a small and gentle campfire flickered, casting a warm glow upon the silent night.

Shirou leaned against a tree trunk while examining a map of the kingdom provided by Merlin, while Kay retrieved blankets from their luggage. Artoria sat beside the campfire, roasting some meat.

"Merlin, judging by our progress, we should be able to reach Garrod by tomorrow noon, right?" Shirou turned to Merlin and asked.

"Yes, at our current pace, we should arrive by then."

Shirou rubbed his chin. It had been three days since they left the town, and the initial sense of excitement had faded away during the journey. Fortunately, they were traveling as a party, so he didn't feel lonely.

"My king, the meat is cooked. Please try it," Artoria offered a large piece of roasted meat to him.

Shirou put down the map and looked at the piece of grilled meat in front of him, which was slightly burnt and even emitted a faint, pungent smell.

He smiled nonchalantly and then took it. Just as he was about to take a bite, he noticed Artoria staring at him eagerly. So, he put down the meat and said helplessly, "Artoria, why don't you eat too?"

She responded eagerly, "But how can I eat before you? As your knight, it is my duty to wait until you have eaten. What if you haven't had enough?"

He let out a chuckle and said, "Don't worry, I don't have as big an appetite as you do, so just eat."

Merlin joined in the laughter and added, "That's right, Lily."

Kay teased, "Don't worry, no one can match your appetite, because you're a pig."

"Brother! I feel offended when you describe me like that!" Artoria said in an angry tone. She then turned her head away, feeling embarrassed and added, "And, I'm already controlling my portion size, okay?"

Shirou chuckled and said, "I told you not to worry about that."

"How can I do that?" she said firmly. "As a knight, I cannot let my king go hungry. Even though I'm only a trainee knight, I will never let my king go hungry! So, you guys go ahead and eat. I'll take care of the rest."

Artoria's tone remained firm, but her gaze shifted towards the roasted meat in the hands of the three.

Shirou smiled and told Kay to go ahead and eat first. Once they had finished, Artoria began to eat and devoured all the remaining roasted meat.

Later that night, Artoria was tossing and turning in bed, unable to sleep.

"I'm so hungry!" She held her stomach, looking uncomfortable.

Artoria knew that as a knight, it would be a great shame to let her king go hungry. She was aware of her own appetite and had been consciously controlling it since the day in town. However, despite her efforts, she couldn't help but feel famished.

"I'm so hungry! So hungry!!" she held her stomach, tossing and turning in makeshift bed, unable to sleep. She could only close her eyes and try to find some comfort.

"Artoria--" A gentle voice called out to her ear.

She opened her eyes and saw Shirou squatting beside her, smiling at her warmly.

"Your Majesty...my king!" she sat up quickly and asked in a worried tone, "Did I wake you up? If so, please forgive me..."

"No," he replied, shaking his head with a smile. "I woke up hungry, actually. Would you like to join me for a hunt?"