Chapter 186

"Whew... It's getting chilly out here! Feels like the weather's about to take a turn. It wasn't this cold just a few days ago," Merlin exclaimed, shivering and trembling despite the palace's lit fires. The cold air still lingered.

Merlin glanced at Shirou, who appeared as composed as ever, and inquired, "My king, aren't you feeling cold?"

Shirou smiled in response and said, "I'm fine."

"I guess I have to retract what I said before. Your body is resilient," Merlin commented.

"It's not only that; it's a question of adaptability," Shirou shook his head..

He could recall with great detail that, prior to his arrival in this world, he attended university in a different province and had hurried back home for the New Year. When he missed his train, he had to endure the frigid snow, shivering and waiting while eating steamed buns.

That had been an intensely bone-chilling experience. Compared to that, the current cold weather was nothing. However, as Britain was situated in the temperate zone with a mild climate year-round, it was understandable for locals to struggle with the cold.

But...

"You are a magus. Can't you just cast a warming spell on yourself?"

"I could, but I don't feel like reciting the incantation... I'm shaking so much I might end up biting my tongue."

Shirou sneered, "Do you really believe that using that excuse will get you out of work? Think again! No matter how cold it gets, as long as this planet doesn't explode, you must continue working for me."

Merlin: "..."

His little trick was exposed!

Shirou fetched a quilt and draped it over Merlin, remarking, "Once you feel warm, cast a warming spell on yourself and get back to work!"

"Ugh..." Merlin groaned. Why was he so difficult to fool?

Shirou settled back into his seat and resumed his review of government affairs. Having been on the throne for over two months, several institutional frameworks had been established, and projects were making steady progress.

Lucan and his associates were not inept. After he imparted the fundamental concepts and showed them how to implement them, they were able to utilize them, albeit not yet to their full extent.

He reviewed the one-year development plan, with a primary emphasis on official training and fostering national unity. The remaining initiatives centered on control of the production industry.

Despite the existence of conventional methods, such as magecraft, in this ancient era, the productivity of most countries was considerably lacking. Therefore, prioritizing productivity was not a wrong decision.

Regarding the food supply, the grains provided by King Ban had already arrived, but after more than two months of consumption, even with careful rationing, they were nearly depleted.

Nonetheless, it was of little consequence. The crops grown and tended to by Camelot had been thriving for over two months, and the remaining provisions were anticipated to last until the winter wheat had matured.

The collective spirit of the populace was high, and they remained motivated and enthusiastic. Even on this chilly day, their fervent and determined hearts could not be dampened.

However...

"Something's wrong, my king!" Lucan rushed into the room.

"What's the matter that's causing such panic?" Shirou set aside the document he was reading and focused on Lucan.