Chapter 162

Tristan's plan proved to be highly successful. Not only did they manage to eliminate the enemy's commander, but they also buried over 20,000 magical beasts in the volcano. As a result, the enemy had no choice but to temporarily halt their offensive, leading to a stalemate.

However, Shirou's forces also suffered significant casualties. Despite initially consisting of around 2,000 soldiers, their numbers were reduced to a mere 724 after a thorough inventory was conducted.

Artoria's cavalry suffered a devastating loss, with not a single soldier surviving. Similarly, Gawain and Gahares' infantry unit, which had consisted of 1,300 soldiers, was reduced to a mere 427. Meanwhile, Tristan's archer unit was left with only 297 soldiers. Along with Kay's garrisoned soldiers, which numbered over 200, the total number of survivors was only 919.

With the initial force comprising over 2,000 individuals, the current number of survivors was not even half that, standing at less than a thousand.

Shirou's decision resulted in the deaths of these individuals, and the weight of the power he wielded was immense. With a single sentence, he determined the fate of so many lives. However, rather than feeling elated about it, he was overwhelmed by fear.

The gravity of his decision was constantly on his mind, and he couldn't help but consider the countless parents who would lose their sons, as well as the wives and children who would be left without husbands and fathers. The sheer responsibility he carried was immense, and the weight of it was almost too much for him to bear.

Despite the overwhelming emotions he felt, Shirou knew there was no time for him to panic.

While the recent battle had been a great victory, Shirou and his forces knew that the enemy was still watching them closely. The enemy still had thousands of land magical beasts, nearly 10,000 bipedal flying wyverns and griffins, as well as a Saxon army comprising 10,000 soldiers. The sheer size of the enemy's forces was staggering, totaling close to 30,000 individuals. Despite their recent success, the odds were still stacked against Shirou and his allies.

Doubts began to emerge among Gawain and the other soldiers, as well as the people they were protecting. They questioned whether their recent victory was truly a win.

However, Shirou couldn't afford to doubt himself. Though he too experienced negative emotions, he remained outwardly calm, offering a reassuring smile to those around him. With conviction, he reassured his people that they would ultimately emerge victorious.

Shirou also took practical steps to strengthen his position. He instructed Morgan and Merlin to reinforce the barrier in Caerleon during the enemy's temporary suspension of their offensive. He also mobilized manpower to collect the names and achievements of the fallen soldiers, which he compiled into a book of heroic spirits.

He reminded the soldiers that though these heroic spirits had passed away, their legacies would live on through the retelling of their deeds by thousands of people, ensuring that their names would be immortalized forever.

This simple yet powerful gesture greatly boosted the morale of the disheartened soldiers, reminding them of the valor and bravery of their fallen comrades and reinforcing their commitment to the cause.

As Shirou documented the aftermath of the battle, he dispatched an envoy to Camelot, seeking their aid. His own army consisted of a mere 900 soldiers, vastly outnumbered by the opposing force of over 30,000 troops. Even if they fought for a full day and night, they would never be able to eliminate them all.

The strategy involving the volcano proved effective only against low-intelligence magical creatures. The bipedal flying beasts had the ability to fly, while the Saxons were human, rendering the plan ineffective against them.