Chapter 154

Vortigern pulled the holy lance Rhongomyniad out of the chest of the enemy commander defending the city with a crisp sound. He turned to his magus attendant, Meksis, who was standing nearby and smiled, blood staining his clothing. "You see, Meksis? I told you I didn't need to personally intervene. They end up fighting amongst themselves."

"Our king is wise!" praised Meksis. "But I don't understand, why would they fight amongst themselves?"

Vortigern replied, "Because there are too many clever people. People like Ywain, Brastias, and even fools like me are becoming scarce. Don't try to flatter me, Meksis. I know you see through it. You're just trying to make me happy. You don't have to be so cautious. Only you can make me speak the truth."

Meksis remained silent.

"How many of my soldiers died?" Vortigern inquired.

"Three, my king," replied Meksis, the runes flashing in his eyes.

"The news has already been announced, and still three died? It seems they're not afraid enough of me, Vortigern!" he chuckled, then asked, "Meksis, do you know what the greatest joy in life is?"

"What is it?"

"The greatest joy in life is to chase your enemies everywhere, invade their lands, plunder their wealth, and then listen to the cries of their wives and children. It's a pity that I can no longer experience this kind of joy," Vortigern lamented. He then clapped his hands and ordered, "Give the command to slaughter the city! Don't worry about the Knights, they have already been eliminated by my holy lance!"

"Understood!" Meksis nodded and, using his spell, informed the various commanders.

"Let those poets and bards spread my military exploits far and wide. Whenever there is even a single casualty in any city I pass through, I will slaughter the entire city! From nobles to commoners, I won't spare a single soul!" Vortigern declared. He paused for a moment, then chuckled, "I want to see how many people dare to raise their swords against me!"

Meksis gazed at the newly conquered city in front of them and asked, "Should we also execute the surrendered nobles, my king?"

"No," replied Vortigern. "If we do, it will only make them more determined to resist me. I will treat them well and let them witness the fate of those who dare to oppose me."

"You truly are wise, my king," Meksis complimented.

"This is just how the world operates. Even if a lamb were to be under your crotch, without wisdom and skill, you wouldn't be able to kill or consume it. However, with profound wisdom and clever methods, even a dragon can be defeated with ease." He continued, "Furthermore, I must have complete control over all of Britain before I consider eliminating them."

Meksis interjected, "If you were to exterminate them all, my king, it would be difficult to govern your domain."

Chuckling, Vortigern responded, "I have no intention of ruling over them!" As he spoke, a faint white dragon shadow surrounded him, his eyes shone with golden light, and his holy lance, Rhongomyniad, emitted a subtle glow.

Vortigern patted Meksis on the shoulder before departing with a smile.

Meksis gazed at Vortigern's retreating figure and let out a sigh. "My king, I can no longer remain calm and collected around you. You have transcended your humanity and have become a harbinger of fear, a god who controls the fate of others."

A complex expression crossed Meksis's face.

With the power of the white dragon and his plunder of Uther's position as the Lord of the Island, Vortigern had ascended to a level that was nearly god-like. Furthermore, he obtained the holy lance Rhongomyniad, which had further eroded his character, bringing him even closer to nature.