Chapter 148

Gaheris confidently escorted Shirou and Artoria back to the inn before bidding them farewell. To their surprise, they found the silver horse wandering to the inn's stables.

After saying their goodbyes, Shirou and Artoria headed to their rooms to rest. However, he noticed Artoria sneaking off to the stables to feed and gaze at the horse with sparkling eyes. It was clear that, unlike the ball and fancy dresses, she preferred warhorses and weapons.

"Artie, don't forget to get some rest early," he reminded her.

She lifted her dress and pulled out the sword in the stone, speaking seriously, "Please rest assured, I always carry Caliburn with me."

He couldn't help but think, 'Wouldn't it hurt to have it poking you like that?' He also remembered that she was recently angry with a noblewoman and planned to use the sword to attack her.

In fact, if Shirou hadn't intervened, she might have used the sword against the woman. For Artoria, the honor of the knight and the monarch were intertwined. If the king was insulted, then the knight was insulted as well. This was a matter of great importance to her.

Despite feeling like a failure as a knight of the king, she believed that remaining indifferent when the king was insulted would make her a complete failure.

Shirou shook his head and said, "I'm not asking you to take care of Caliburn, but to take care of yourself. Don't stay out too late."

"I understand, my king!"

He then returned to his room, deep in thought about Morgan's sudden change of behavior towards him. He couldn't shake off the feeling of unease that lingered within him. He knew he had to be cautious around Morgan and avoid making any hasty decisions until he fully understood her intentions.

He also reminded himself to be careful with the wine that Morgan offered him. He couldn't afford to let his guard down around her.

According to the Arthurian legend, Morgan had once drugged Artoria and used enchantment to take advantage of her, ultimately leading to the birth of Mordred. This knowledge only added to Shirou's apprehension about Morgan and her intentions.

Although he had the [Evil] attribute, which provided some defense against enchantment, he couldn't protect himself from physical intoxication. Thus, he knew he had to be extra careful around Morgan, especially when it came to accepting drinks from her.

In addition to his concerns about Morgan, he also had to prepare for his trip to Camelot the following day with Lucan. As the capital of Britain, Camelot was a far more complex and dangerous situation than anywhere else they had been.

He knew that if he wanted to become king and unify Britain, he would have to participate in battles there. These thoughts weighed heavily on his mind as he prepared for the journey ahead.

Furthermore, he understood that becoming king would only mark the beginning of a much greater battle. It wouldn't be just about personal combat ability, but also about leadership, personal charisma, and conflict resolution. The latter aspects were undoubtedly more difficult to master than the former.

Shirou acknowledged that he was a complete newbie to this type of battle. Unifying Britain and becoming king was an entirely new challenge, far more difficult than anything he had faced during the Fourth Holy Grail War. However, he also recognized that he had grown significantly stronger since then.

To face the challenges ahead, he knew he needed a phased development plan. He was a naturally structured and organized person, preferring to approach tasks with a well-planned and disciplined approach.

In a sense, making plans was also a compulsion for him. When he stranded in this place, he had no background or funds. If he wanted to succeed, he needed a clear career and life plan. This was something that professors often reminded students of in college, and even the significance of offering courses in career planning.