Chapter 108

The sunlight filtered through the thin window curtains, casting a faint golden ripple onto the bed. Shirou twitched his eyebrows and woke up, as he did every morning.

He got off the hard bed, put on the gray linen clothes that hung on the side, and then pulled open the coarse cloth curtains to let sunlight shine into the simple room.

Standing in front of the window, Shirou surveyed the familiar surroundings. This was a manor.

"Clatter clatter clatter."

A blond girl in silver armor slowly walked into the manor, leading a horse. Shirou went over the words and grammar in his head and greeted her in a language he was not familiar with. "Good morning, Artoria. You're back from patrolling the town?"

Artoria turned to look at Shirou, nodding her head. "Hmm. Good morning, Guinevere."

Shirou showed a troubled expression and said, "I've told you, please call me Fujimaru Shirou."

"Okay." she nodded seriously before making a very effortful expression, her snowy white face turning red as she struggled to pronounce the unfamiliar name. After a few minutes, she finally opened her mouth, "Foomfaroo Shurrow?"

He couldn't help but feel speechless at her attempt, and he said, "You should just call me Guinevere."

"Okay, Guinevere!" she replied with enthusiasm. It was clear that she was relieved to be able to address him as Guinevere.

He wondered if it was because she was an actual human being and not a Servant directly endowed with modern knowledge by the Holy Grail. For Artoria, who was accustomed to speaking Old English, speaking the Japanese language of "Fujimaru Shirou" was like asking a foreigner to speak a regional dialect they weren't familiar with.

"Guinevere, I'm going to train with Ector now. Let's catch up over lunch."

"Okay, sounds good. I have to go to work anyway." Shirou replied before leaving the manor.

After bidding farewell to Artoria, Shirou followed the servants up the hill where they tended to the crops, weeding and fertilizing as they went. It had been a year since Shirou found himself in this world, taken in by the three individuals who saved him and brought him to the manor.

During his time there, Shirou had focused on recovering his magical energy by absorbing human malice, learning the language, gathering information, and trying to confirm his whereabouts. He had made steady progress and had gained a good understanding of the world based on the knowledge he had accumulated over the past year.

It was almost certain that Shirou had been thrown into the time of King Arthur in 5th century Britain after passing through the Root. It was evident by the old knight, Ector, who was the foster father of King Arthur, the blonde girl, Artoria, with whom Shirou had fought in the Fourth Holy Grail War, and the boy, Kay, who would later become the third seat of the Knights of Round Table.

However, at this point in time, Artoria had not yet pulled the sword from the stone and become King Arthur. She was still a young and inexperienced knight, staying with Ector. This was the extent of the information Shirou had been able to gather over the past year, which unfortunately, was very little.

It had taken Shirou an entire year to learn the language of Old Britain, a daunting task for a complete novice. The language was filled with unclear expressions and was far more difficult than modern English, making it a significant challenge for modern people to learn without a translation, teacher, or textbook.

Shirou had no other option but to rely on his own efforts to learn Old British. He used the most brainless and arduous method, memorizing each word one by one. It took him a year to learn the vocabulary and grammar, but he still couldn't use it proficiently as the ancient language had limited expressive ability. However, he could communicate normally with enough effort.